This article contains wording that promotes the subject in a subjective manner without imparting real information. (December 2017)
|Born||15 January 1978|
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
|Kid Chan's Guide to the Business of Photography|
|Hanyu Pinyin||Chén Wénjié|
|Yale Romanization||Chàhn Màhn-giht|
Kid Chan (born 15 January 1978 in Kuala Lumpur) is a wedding photojournalist, portrait and celebrity photographer from Malaysia. People photographed by Chan include Zeti Akhtar Aziz, governor of Bank Negara Malaysia; barrister Cherie Blair; actor Jackie Chan; businessman Francis Yeoh; model Elle Macpherson; and designer Jimmy Choo.
Life and career
Raised in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, Chan attended the Sri Cempaka school before pursuing a degree in international business from Curtin University of Technology in Perth, Australia. He began his working life in the corporate world before taking up photography. After two years as an executive assistant, Chan became burnt out and decided to take up an apprenticeship at a photography studio under TS Lim of Studio 88.
Originally concentrating on corporate photography, Chan agreed to take photographs of his clients' children's weddings. He has since photographed many royalty, politicians, artists and celebrities.
Chan has photographed numerous celebrities, and was the sole photographer for the weddings of Paula Malai Ali and Tengku Kudin, and Siti Nurhaliza and Khalid Jiwa. He was also the official photographer for the royal wedding of Tengku Aslahuddin Jaa'far and Sofia Erica Lane, and these photos were used in an cover story in Harper's Bazaar. Other people he has photographed include Zeti Akhtar Aziz, Cherie Blair, Jackie Chan, Elle Macpherson, Jimmy Choo,[third-party source needed] and Francis Yeoh for the cover of Millionaireasia.
In a photography competition organised by the History Channel in 2009, the grand prize was a photography session worth RM10,000 with Chan. In 2010, his collection of images of three cancer survivors and their families was exhibited in 50 Courts Malaysia's stores nationwide, as part of an exhibition to raise funds for the National Cancer Society of Malaysia (NCSM) through its "Hope for Our Children" campaign. In the same year, he photographed the shooting of Britain's Next Top Model Cycle 6 in episode 11, which was filmed in Kuala Lumpur. In 2011, Chan was a judge for the Malaysia's Online Fashion Entrepreneurs' Weekend (MOFEW). In 2012, he was appointed ambassador for MenCare (an initiative that aims to educate men on breast cancer and how it affects families as well as to gather men's support for breastcare health of their spouses and female members of their families).
Chan was the first Malaysian to be accepted as a member of the US based Wedding Photojournalist Association (WPJA), and was named by Malaysian Tatler as "one of the 100 people you must know in Asia" in 2006. In the same year, Le Prestige magazine named him in their "Top 40 under 40" list. The media often refers to him as "one of Malaysia's most sought-after wedding photographers".
In 2008, Tiger Tales, the official magazine of Tiger Airways, named him in their "annual list of trail-blazers across Asia and Australia". In the same year, he was named as one of Malaysia's most influential youth entrepreneurs under 30 by Youth Entrepreneur. In 2011, Glam, a Malaysian magazine, cited chan's knowledge of Malay wedding culture and protocol. In 2012, he was the only Asian photographer to be listed in Conde Nast's Brides UK's "Top 20 Extremely Talented Destination Wedding Photographers in the World" feature.
Chan has been featured in Harper's Bazaar,[third-party source needed] The Edge, the New Straits Times, Persona Pengantin, Harian Metro, and Prestige magazine. Chan was also featured in the inaugural Malaysia edition of August Man magazine.
In 2009, he was a guest speaker for the 1Malaysia Entrepreneurship Month, which was organised by Sunway University College in collaboration with the Higher Education Ministry. In 2010, Chan was a speaker at TEDxKualaLumpur.
- "Kid Chan – Official Facebook page". Facebook. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- 陈文杰摄影厚相簿. Oriental Daily News (Malaysia). 25 January 2016. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- Khoo, Rubin (20 January 2008). "The kid grows up". The Star. Archived from the original on 6 December 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- "Fashionable watches for the young". The Star. 10 May 2008. Archived from the original on 21 February 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Periaswamy, Nizha. "Bermain dengan imej dan persepsi". Kosmo!. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Rajem, Radzha. "Kid Chan perintis wedding photojournalism". Persona Pengantin. Persona Pengantin. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- Toyad, Jacqueline (29 May 2005). "Picture perfect". Options: 10.
- Tan, Celine (September 2011). "Never Give Up". Personal Money. Malaysia: The Edge: 54–56.
- "Royal Wedding of HH Tengku Aslahuddin Ja'afar & Sofia Erica Lane as featured in Harper's Bazaar". kcwebsite. Archived from the original on 9 January 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Britain's Next Top Model Cycle 6". Kid Chan. Archived from the original on 7 November 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Visual storyteller". New Straits Times. 17 November 2014.
- Koay, Allan (2 March 2009). "Snapshots for eternity". The Star. Archived from the original on 19 February 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Low, Christina (16 August 2010). "Educate children on healthy lifestyle". The Star. Archived from the original on 21 February 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "MOFEW". Archived from the original on 26 April 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Company launches MenCare to educate men on breast cancer". The Star. 6 November 2012. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Men urged to join breast cancer fight". New Straits Times. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "Top 40 Under 40". Le Prestige: 29. September 2006.
- Jacob, Anansa (26 June 2013). "Life behind the lens". The Sun. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Bestsellers". The Star. 23 June 2013. Archived from the original on 17 July 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "Bestsellers". The Star. 30 June 2013. Archived from the original on 24 July 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "100 People You Must Know in Asia". Tatler Asia: 193. September 2006.
- Kaur, Manveet (15 May 2005). "Chan loves weddings, no kid-ding" (PDF). New Straits Times. Retrieved 11 January 2012.
- "A weekend to plan your dream wedding". The Star. 1 August 2008. Archived from the original on 21 February 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- Siow, Sean. "Wedding Photographer to the Stars". Tiger tales. Tiger Airways. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "youth Entrepreneur". Youth Entrepreneur. 2008. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- "5 Direktori Perkahwinan". Glam. Blu Inc. Archived from the original on 27 November 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- Ho, mabel. "Kid Chan Studio Among World's Best". Wedding Guide Asia. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2013.
- "August DNA- 7 individuals who best represent the qualities of August Man". August Man. Vol. 1 no. 1. September 2006. p. 74.
- "Kindling the business spirit". The Star. 20 September 2009. Archived from the original on 21 February 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- CerVentus, Daniel. "TEDxKualaLumpur Speakers and Schedules". entrepreneurs.my. entrepreneurs.my. Retrieved 4 January 2012.