|Location||4755 North Kimball Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60625
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Platforms||1 Island platform
1 Side platform
|Opened||December 14, 1907|
|Rebuilt||1974, 2006–07 (renovated)|
|Passengers (2015)||1,304,805 2%|
|Rank||55 out of 143[a]|
Kimball is the 'L' station at the terminus of the CTA's Brown Line. It is located in Chicago's Albany Park neighborhood. From Kimball trains run south and then east to Kedzie, which is about 0.33 miles (0.53 km) away. During regular hours trains are scheduled to depart from Kimball every 7–10 minutes, and take about 33 minutes to reach the Chicago Loop.
The original station at Kimball was constructed by the Northwestern Elevated Railroad and opened on December 14, 1907. This station was demolished and a new station built in its place in 1974. The newly opened station was used for filming for the 1975 film, Cooley High. The station has three tracks which are served by an island platform and a side platform; there is also a train storage yard and a workshop alongside the station.
Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project
Although Kimball Station was rebuilt in 1974 it was still upgraded as part of the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project. The station was closed from September 15, 2006 to January 12, 2007. During this closure the two platforms were extended to support eight railcars, and the station entrance was reconfigured to better meet ADA requirements.
- 81 Lawrence (Owl Service)
- 82 Kimball/Homan
- 93 California/Dodge
Notes and references
- Due to possible double-counting of physically-connected stations, the CTA's official 2015 tally of stations was 146, but for ridership purposes reported having only 143 stations.
- "Monthly Ridership Report – December 2015" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 11, 2016. Retrieved March 23, 2016.
- Borzo, Greg (2007). The Chicago "L". Arcadia Publishing. p. 133. ISBN 978-0-7385-5100-5.
- 2 Brown Line stations to close. Chicago Tribune, September 2, 2006
- CTA Announces Brown Line Kimball Station to Reopen January 12, CTA press release.
- Kimball Station. CTA Countdown to a New Brown website (URL accessed September 2, 2006).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kimball (CTA).|