|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Kimberworth is a suburb of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. It is located in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, about 2.2 miles (3.5 km) north-west of Rotherham town centre and 4.7 miles (7.6 km) north-east of the City of Sheffield.
Kimberworth is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book, where it is noted as "Chiberworde". Kimberworth castle, now demolished, was located near The Drawbridge pub. The monks at nearby Kirkstead Abbey were smelting iron from around 1160, the rest of the history of this area is heavily influenced by industrial developments, especially in iron, steel and coal.
There is evidence of human activity in this area going back 5000 years. The area was settled by Brigantes, before the arrival of the Romans. The Roman expansion north was halted by the Brigantes forts at Kimberworth and Wincobank.
The present manor house at Kimberworth was built in 1694 by the Kent family, long prominent at Kimberworth, who married with, amongst others, the Rawson family of Upperthorpe and the Creswick family that had owned land at Owlerton since the fourteenth century.
Places of worship
The Kimberworth area has several churches, the most prominent being St Thomas's Anglican Church on Church Street, construction of which was started in 1842. The Salvation Army has a meeting hall on High Street, this is also used by the 1st Rotherham Cub Scout pack. Kimberworth United Reformed Church met in a building on Kimberworth Road overlooking Bradgate Park (Church closed in 2010).[clarification needed] Church now demolished
- Thundercliffe Grange – 1770s
- Dean Andrews, actor who appeared in Life on Mars, used to live in Kimberworth
- David Seaman, England football goalkeeper lived in nearby Ferham and attended Kimberworth Comprehensive School
- Rowland Suddaby (1912–1972), British artist and illustrator, born there
- "Lady Idonea de Vipont of Kimberworth Manor. 1256–1334" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 December 2017. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Pedigree of the Kent family". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- "Kilvington - Kingmoor - British History Online". www.british-history.ac.uk. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "Rowland Suddaby". www.louisekosman.com. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
Media related to Kimberworth at Wikimedia Commons