Location and access
The area is bordered by the M50 motorway to the NE, Katherine Tynan Road to the SE, the Belgard Road to the SW and the N7 to the NW. Traditionally considered to be part of the hinterland of Clondalkin Village yet lying inside of the historical Parish of Tallaght, the area is now divided by the Ballymount Road, with roughly two thirds in Tallaght (Dublin 24), and the remainder, west of the road, in Clondalkin (Dublin 22), and therefore served by different Garda Stations. It has a population of approximately 2200
Kingswood is served by Luas Red Line services to Tallaght/Saggart and The Point/Connolly
Dublin Bus routes 56a, 76 and 76a serve Kingswood.
Kingswood has a launderette, a betting shop, a fast-food takeaway and Gio's Chipper, a pub, a pharmacy, a Centra convenience store a Church and two community centres. The old community centre now serves as a centre for hip hop dance, speech and drama classes and a Bruce Lee inspired karate dojo ran by one of the worlds few Karate GrandMasters of Kenpo Karate (GrandMaster Mr Patrick S Kennedy). Next to it, there is the Newer Community Centre. It hosts local community group "Kingswood Says No" WeWontPay protests, sport matches (including indoor javelin and Irish Wrestling (IMW)) exercise and health fitness club. It once featured a weekly, now defunct, disco called Chilin' it at Killians .The Scout den which won the Irish Architectural Innovation Award in 1989 is found beside the community centre and houses the 158th Castleview Scout Group. The Roman Catholic parish church is shared with Kilnamanagh, but Kingwood holds 70% of the shares.
- St Kilian's Junior School was founded in 1979 by Mark Molamphy and Kathleen Carroll. The principal is Kate Sweeney.
- St Kilian's Senior School was founded in 1986. The principal is Orla Higgins.
- Kingswood Community College was opened in September 2016.
Kingswood Community College will be one of the most modern schools in the country and will have a community-based ethos of inclusion together with the highest educational standards. As well as the full Leaving Certificate programme, the school will also provide for the new Junior Cycle Framework.
- Kingswood Castle FC are the local soccer club founded in 2013 & play their home matches in Ballymount park in Black and White.
- St Killians GAA Club merged with St. Kevins GAA Club in Kilnamanagh in 1998, as both clubs sought to compete with the larger superclubs that predominate in the Tallaght/Templeogue area.
|Preceding station||Luas||Following station|
|Red Cow||Red Line||Belgard|
- Handcock's History and Antiquities of Tallaght, Second Edition, 1889
- Link to aerial view of Kingswood (select link for Kingswood Shopping Centre Car Park and use zoom feature for wider views)
- Parliamentary debate on St. Killian's junior and senior schools
- Askaboutireland.ie web page on Katherine Tynan's Kingswood home