Klas-Göran Karlsson (born 1955) is a professor of history at Lund University. Karlsson is an author of books on conflictology and Holocaust studies such as "The Holocaust as a Problem of Historical Culture". One of the focus areas of Karlsson's research is the topic of genocide.
In Crimes Against Humanity under Communist Regimes, Karlsson prefers using the term crimes against humanity to include "the direct mass killings of politically undesirable elements, as well as forced deportations and forced labour." Karlsson acknowledges that the term may be misleading in the sense that the Communist regimes targeted groups of their own citizens, but he considers it useful as a broad legal term which emphasizes attacks on civilian populations and because the offenses demean humanity as a whole.
In 2019, Karlsson published The Modern Thirty-Year War (Det moderna trettioåriga kriget – Europa 1914–1945). The book's comparative perspective with developments outside Europe was praised by reviewers.
Works in English
Whereas Karlsson has authored over 40 books in his native Swedish, only part of his oeuvre has been written in or translated into English. Among these:
- Lessons at the limits, in Remembering the Holocaust in Educational Settings; Routledge, 2018.
- Holocaust heritage: inquiries into European historical cultures; with Ulf Zander; Sekel, 2004.
- Perspectives on the Entangled History of Communism and Nazism: A Comnaz Analysis; with Johan Stenfeldt and Ulf Zander; Lexington Books (Rowman & Littlefield), 2015
- Crimes Against Humanity under Communist Regimes; Forum for Living History, 2008
- "Personal - Historiska institutionen, Lunds universitet". lu.se.
- "Folkmord bör angå även regeringen". SvD.se. 17 March 2010.
- "The Holocaust as a Problem of Historical Culture. Theoretical and Analytical Challenges". / Karlsson, Klas-Göran. Echoes of the Holocaust. Historical Culture in Contemporary Europe. ed. / Klas-Göran Karlsson; Ulf Zander. Nordic Academic Press, 2003. pp. 9–57.
- "Specialavsnitt: Det Ukrainska folkmordet med professor Klas-Göran Karlsson". I Like Radio (in Swedish). Nordic Entertainment Group. Archived from the original on 25 November 2021. Retrieved 25 November 2021.
folkmord i synnerhet, ett område som professorn forskat mycket på
- Karlsson, Klas-Göran; Schoenhals, Michael (2008). Crimes Against Humanity under Communist Regimes. Stockholm: Forum for Living History. ISBN 9789197748728.
- "Avsnitt 16. Klas-Göran Karlsson om Det moderna trettioåriga kriget – Europa 1914–1945". Clio (in Swedish). Natur & Kultur. Archived from the original on 25 November 2021. Retrieved 25 November 2021.
Till boken Det moderna trettioåriga kriget – Europa 1914–1945
- Bo Eriksson (22 April 2019). "Det moderna trettioåriga kriget". Tidsresan (in Swedish). Retrieved 25 November 2021.
En styrka med boken förutom författarens beläsenhet, klara och analytiska blick samt stringenta framställningsform, utgörs av de utomeuropeiska utblickarna
- Karlsson, Klas-Göran (2018). "Lessons at the limits". Remembering the Holocaust in Educational Settings. Taylor & Francis. pp. 25–39. doi:10.4324/9781351008648-2. ISBN 9781351008648. S2CID 216774217. Archived from the original on 25 November 2021. Retrieved 25 November 2021.
- "Holocaust heritage : Inquiries into European historical cultures / Klas-Göran Karlsson & Ulf Zander (Eds.). - Collections Search - United States Holocaust Memorial Museum".
- Karlsson, Klas-Göran; Stenfeldt, Johan; Zander, Ulf (15 July 2015). Perspectives on the Entangled History of Communism and Nazism: A Comnaz Analysis. ISBN 9781498518710.