This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)
|Origin||Kočani, North Macedonia|
|Genres||Balkan Brass Band |
|Labels||Crammed Discs |
Kočani orkestar (in Macedonian: Кочани оркестар) also credited under the names: Kocani orkestar, Kocani Orchestra, Kochani orkestar and Kochani Orchestra is a Macedonian Romani brass band from Kočani, North Macedonia led till 2000 by Naat Veliov. Kočani orkestar are among the funkiest exponents of the Balkan brass band style which is found across ex-Yugoslavia and is a direct descendant of the music once played by Turkish army bands. Their music is based on Gypsy tunes from various parts of the Balkans and on Turkish rhythms, with a sprinkle of Latin flavour.
Their song "Siki, siki baba" is featured on the soundtrack for the movie Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan although it has no connection to the Music of Kazakhstan. Together with the Romani singer Esma Redžepova, Naat Veliov has filed a lawsuit for the producers of the movie for an unauthorised use of the song.
- A Gypsy Brass Band (1995)
- L'Orient Est Rouge (1998)
- Gypsy Mambo (1999)
- Ulixes (2001) with the Harmonia Ensemble
- Alone At My Wedding (2002)
- The Ravished Bride (2008)
- Contributing artist
- Saban Jasarov
- Redzai Durmisev
- Nijazi Alimov
- Sukri Zejnelov
- Suad Asanov
- Durak Demirov
- Turan Gaberov
- Sukri Kadriev
- Dzeladin Demirov
- Vinko Stefanov
- "Loading..." www.welove-music.net.
- "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)" – via www.imdb.com.
- DISCS, CRAMMED. "CRAMMED DISCS: Kocani Orkestar - The Ravished Bride". www.crammed.be.
- http://www.divanoprod.com/ViewPage.aspx Archived 2010-08-01 at the Wayback Machine Main page -> Kocani Orkestar -> the group