Koo De Tah
Koo De Tah
|Origin||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Genres||Synthpop, new wave|
|Past members||Tina Cross|
Koo De Tah (also Koo Dé Tah or Koo Dee Tah) was a New Zealand/Australian pop music band of the 1980s. The core band members were Tina Cross (a native of New Zealand) and Leon Berger (Australian), who met in Sydney.
In 1984 Cross, who was a successful singer in New Zealand (having four top 50 singles and won the 1979 Pacific Song Contest), moved to Australia and formed the band with Berger. Berger was born in Russia and studied at the Moscow Conservatory of Music, later moving to Australia in 1973. Berger and Cross had previously met at a song contest in New Zealand. Koo De Tah scored a hit in 1985 with their debut single, "Too Young for Promises", which reached Number six in the Australian singles charts and Number 48 in New Zealand music charts.
The band's self-titled debut album was released in 1986.
Cross went on to have a successful career in musical theatre in New Zealand appearing in Cats, Chicago, The Rocky Horror Show and many other productions. Berger had some earlier hits in the 1970s but in the 1990s produced songs for Melissa Tkautz.
- Tina Cross - vocals
- Leon Berger - keyboards, songwriting, production
- Peter Radnai - drums
- John Bettison - guitar, violin
- Capree Morris - keyboards
- Roger Faynes - bass
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|1986||Koo De Tah||54|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|1985||"Too Young for Promises"||6||48||Koo De Tah|
|1986||"Think of Me"||69||-|
|"Missed You All Along"||-||-|
- "Koo Dé Tah Discography". Discogs.com. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "Discography - Tina Cross". New Zealand Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Canberra braces for musical Koo De Tah". Canberra Times. National Library of Australia. 28 August 1986. p. 11 Supplement: The Good Times. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Don Groves (14 October 1979). "Leon Berger, star of the turntables". Sydney Morning Herald.
- "Billboard". 97 (41). Billboard Publications Inc. 12 October 1985: 69. ISSN 0006-2510.
- "Top 10 Australian Hits of 1985". Oz Net Music Chart. Archived from the original on 17 June 2004. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Tina Cross - New Zealand Musicians & Bands". Muzic.net.nz. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Discography - Koo De Tah". New Zealand Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives: Australian Chart Book. p. 169. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 January 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)