Laurence Paul Shanet (born 1 October 1976) is a U.S. commercial director and film director, also known under his working moniker Kranky. He has also directed music videos, internet content and stage plays, and worked at various times as a writer and producer, in both the advertising and entertainment industries. His work has won the 2004 Young Director Award at the Cannes Lions International Festival (sponsored by Commercial Film Producers of Europe), and is part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art (via their joint award with the Association of Independent Commercial Producers).
Shanet was born on 1 October 1976 in New York City, the son of conductor and composer Howard Shanet (1918–2006) and neurophysiologist Bernice Grafstein Shanet. He attended the Bronx High School of Science and The Johns Hopkins University, where he studied film, as well as writing and psychology. In 2012, he married long-time girlfriend Alyssa Sutherland.
Originally, the name "Kranky" represented Laurence Shanet and his directing partner David M. Rosenthal (director) (director of the movie Janie Jones, 2010) up to their series of spots for Master Cabbie (2003); since their 2003 parting, "Kranky" has been kept as Laurence Shanet's working moniker and production company name. He is sometimes also credited as "Laurence Shanet" or "Larry Shanet".
Known best for his commercial work, he has directed commercials for Pepsi, Volkswagen and Starburst, among others. His work has been seen in most of the industry's major awards shows, and is part of the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art, via their joint award with the Association of Independent Commercial Producers.
He is also known for various projects in the entertainment world. He was the Head Writer and co-creator of the animated series "Badtime Stories" (a.k.a. "8:37"), and, in 2002, he directed the popular Off-Broadway play "Connections", a comedy about internet dating.
- 2004: AICP/Museum of Modern Art - Honoree ("Low Budget" category)
- 2004: CFP-E (Commercial Film Producers of Europe) Cannes Lions Festival Young Director Award ("Non European Broadcast" category) - 1st prize to directorial team Kranky (incl. L. Shanet) for Master Cabbie commercials -
- 2006: Regional Addy Awards - Gold - Television Campaign
- 2006: Regional Addy Awards - Best of Show
- Nominations, shortlists, finalists, merit awards
- 2001: London International Advertising Awards - Television/Cinema finalists ("Low Budget Campaign" category) (incl. Larry Shanet as agency producer) for Zilo Networks commercials
- 2003: London International Advertising Awards - Television/Cinema finalists for Master Cabbie Commercials
- 2004: Clio Awards - Television/Cinema shortlist to Kranky production (incl. L. Shanet) for Master Cabbie commercials
- 2004: One Show - Merit Award ("Consumer Television Under $50,000 Budget" category) to Kranky (director, production) for Master Cabbie commercials
- 2005: Clio Awards - Television/Cinema shortlist (incl. Kranky as producer) for Vancouver's Z95 Radio commercials
- 2006: Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival - Film Shortlist
- 2006: Clio Awards - Television/Cinema for Minnesota State Lottery campaign
- 2007 London International Advertising Awards - Television/Cinema finalists ("Entertainment" category) for Minnesota State Lottery 
- Byrne, Fiona, "Sutherland weds her man in Thailand", Melbourne Herald Sun (February 25, 2012)
- Short 2004 article about 'Kranky' at Boards magazine
-  Archived 20 February 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- AICP: Search: query for "Kranky" and query for "Shanet".
- "CFP-E: Young Director Award 2004 – winners"
- "LIAA: 2001 TV/Cinema Finalists" > "Low Budget Campaigns" (PDF to HTML via Google).
- "LIAA: 2001 TV/Cinema Finalists"
- Query at clioawards.com/archive with "Credit: Kranky" for all years and all categories (no permalink).
- "One Show > 2004 > Merit > Consumer Television"
- "London International Awards". 2007.liaentries.com. Retrieved 2012-08-29.