Sangolli Rayanna (film)
|Produced by||Anand Appugol|
Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna (English: Legendary Warrior Sangolli Rayanna) is a 2012 Indian historical biographical film Kannada film directed by Naganna and produced by Anand Appugol. Darshan, Jayaprada and Nikita Thukral play lead roles. The film is about Sangolli Rayanna, a prominent freedom fighter from Karnataka, who fought the British till he was captured and executed in 1831. He was the army chief of the Kingdom of Kittur ruled at the time by Kittur Rani Chennamma.
Kranti Veera Sangolli Rayanna was produced at a cost of an estimated Rs 30 croreand collected more than 30 crore at domestic box office became one of the highest grossing Kannada films of all time.
- Darshan Thoogudeep as Sangolli Rayanna
- Jayapradha as Kittur Rani Chennamma
- Nikita Thukral as Mallavva
- Divya Parameshwaran
- Shashikumar as Channabasava
- Srinivasa Murthy as Veerappa Sardar
- Umashree as Kenchamma
- Karibasavaiah as Pakira
- Saurav as Bala
- Avinash as Balappa Kulkarni
- Ramesh Bhat
- Doddanna as Venkata Rao
- Satyajith as Mallappa Shetty
- Shobhraj as Bandari baboo
- Sadashiv Brahmavara as Gurudeva
- Anand Appugol as King of Shivagatti
- Sadashiv Vinaysarathi
- Rajesh Nataranga as Krishna Rao
- Jai Jagadish as Venkanagouda
- Bank Janardhan as Linganagouda
- Dharma as Gangadhar
- Moogu Suresh as Thimma
Initially, Arjun Sarja was selected for the lead role which is being portrayed by Darshan. and Priyamani was named previously for the female lead role, but later she refused the offer to do such historical character. Finally, Nikita Thukral was offered the lead role. For shooting purpose, a white horse was bought which cost nearly ₹1.7 million (US$27,000). Jayaprada portrayed the role of Kittur Chennamma. The same role was filled by B. Saroja Devi in the 1962 film Kitturu Chennamma.
The team filmed in Jaipur (Rajasthan) with more than thousand artists including horses and elephants. The production team shot for 40 days in a desert village called Thula to capture the battle scene. Fake human body parts were designed by Rajasthan artists for the war scenes to make the war sequences look real.
Producer Anand Appugol explained the shooting experience to the press. "It cost more than ₹5 million (US$78,000) per day of shooting and cost around ₹20 million (US$310,000) only for war scenes. Jayaprada, who appears as Kittur Chennamma spent 30 days with team". She said, "I have acted in nearly 700 films. But I haven’t seen a rich film like this ever shot in the south". Producer Appugol said about his favorite star, "Darshan Thoogudeep was totally involved in the character of Sangolli Rayanna while filming the scenes".
The film will be a big boost to the Kannada film industry and Darshan Thoogudeep's career as it is made with a very high budget and a good team. Film posters were nominated for the Internet Poster Design Award.
In the war field 30 elephants, hundreds of horses, thousands of soldiers, 320 fighters from Bangalore, Hyderabad and Mumbai have taken part in some risky shots. Seven cameras including the latest photogenic 500, fitting small cameras to the horses and heli-cam were pressed into action. Shooting in Murugod cave was another rich experience. The cave to the road level was used for five days shoot for the film. Twenty-five days were spent shooting on location in Mysore.
- Chitraloka gave the film 4/5 stars and they called it a complete family entertainer and further said "Darshan perfectly suits the role with his body language and dialogue in North Karnataka accent coming out very well. He shows tremondous commitment in carrying off the role of a patriot. The film ill certainly go down as the best in his career. Technically the film is superb. Ramesh Babu's camera work and background score stand out in this film. The eidting, art work and costume designing departments have reached top line levels. Kranti Veera Sangolli Raayanna is must see film. It makes you feel proud of being a Kannadiga."
- Filmibeat gave the film 4/5 stars and said "Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna is a must watch film for everyone." 
- Times of India gave 4/5 stars and said "A historical masterpiece by director Naganna who has excellently highlighted Sangolli Rayanna's fight against the British. Watch it with your family and friends." 
- Deccan Herald gave the film 5/5 stars and said "Ultimately, Sangolli Rayanna is one man’s passion realised with equal determination by others. That passion, in this case, is easily transferred to the viewer and set the cash box ringing. Kudos Keshavaditya and team" 
- Rediff.com gave 3.5/5 stars and said "Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna is a must-see film for all. Rarely do historical films get made and this is a rare opportunity for people of this generation to watch such a movie."
|Soundtrack album by Yashovardhan|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
Yashovardhan has composed the music to lyrics by Keshavaditya.
|1.||"Malla Malla"||Sonu Nigam, Anuradha Bhat|
|2.||"Veera Bhoomi"||S. P. Balasubramanyam|
|3.||"Chinnadanta Aramane"||K. J. Yesudas|
|4.||"Gandu Mettida"||Shankar Mahadevan, Rajesh Krishnan, Hemanth Kumar|
|5.||"Nannede Veene"||K. S. Chitra, Sonu Nigam, Prakash Sontakke|
|6.||"Janani Janmabhoomi"||Shankar Mahadevan, Rajesh Krishnan, Nanditha, Hemanth Kumar, Prakash Sontakke|
Awards and accolades
|60th Filmfare Awards South||Best Film||Anand B. Appugola||Won|
|2nd South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Film||Anand B. Appugola||Nominated|
|Best Cinematographer||Ramesh Babu||Nominated|
|Best Fight Choreographer||Ravi Verma||Won|
|Best Debutant Producer||Ananda B. Appugola||Nominated|
- "'Sangolli Rayanna' gets Kicha's voice". bharatstudent.com. 7 September 2012.
- "Kannada actor Darshan revisits history". rediff.com. 15 April 2011.
- "Arjun Sarja to star in Sangolli Rayanna". oneindia. 5 June 2009.
- "'Sangolli Rayanna' starts on Nov. 19". indiaglitz.com. 10 November 2010.
- Sangolli Rayanna (2012). impawards.com
- "Murthy injured". indiaglitz.com.
- Super User. "Kranthiveera Sangolli Rayanna Movie Review - chitraloka.com | Kannada Movie News, Reviews | Image". chitraloka.com | Kannada Movie News, Reviews | Image.
- "Kranthiveera Sangolli Rayanna - Kannada Movie Reviews, Trailers, Wallpapers, Photos, Cast & Crew, Story & Synopsis - Filmibeat". FilmiBeat.
- G. S. Kumar (1 November 2012) Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna. Times of India
- B. S. Srivani (4 November 2012) "A messenger's tale that shaped Indian history". Deccan Herald.
- "Review: Krantiveera Sangolli Rayanna is a must-watch". Rediff. 1 November 2012.
- "Kannada actor Darshan revisits history". Rediff. 15 April 2011.