|Look up Kreis in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- In Germany, a Kreis is a district, i.e. the subdivision of a Regierungsbezirk (literally "Government district") which itself is the subdivision of a Land a.k.a. Bundesland (= a federated State of Germany).
The elected chief executive officer of a Kreis is called Landrat (literally "Land/State Councillor"), while the chief executive officer of a Regierungsbezirk who is appointed by the State is called Regierungspräsident (literally "Govern-ment President").
- In the Kingdom of Prussia, a Kreis was a district or county
- In the Holy Roman Empire (962-1806), a Reichskreis (Imperial Circle) was a ceremonial association of several regional monarchies (Reichsländer) and/or imperial cities (Reichsstädte).
- In the Swiss canton of Graubünden the 11 districts are divided into 39 Kreise (circles).
Kreis may also be a surname.
People with this surname include:
In music and culture:
- Brockhaus Lexikon 2005 p506
- Brockhaus Lexikon 2005 p523 p730
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Kreis.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.