|Look up Kreis in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- In Germany, a Kreis is a district or county, i.e. the subdivision of a Regierungsbezirk ("government district") which itself is the subdivision of a federal state (Land or Bundesland).
The elected chief executive officer of a Kreis is called Landrat (literally "Land/State Councillor"), while the chief executive officer of a Regierungsbezirk who is appointed by the State is called Regierungspräsident (literally "Government President").
- In the Kingdom of Prussia, a Kreis was a district or county
- In the Holy Roman Empire (962-1806), a Reichskreis (Imperial Circle) was a ceremonial association of several regional monarchies (Reichsländer) and/or imperial cities (Reichsstädte).
- In the Swiss canton of Graubünden the 11 districts are divided into 39 Kreise (circles).
Kreis may also be a surname.
People with this surname include:
- Harold Kreis (born 1959), Canadian-German ice hockey coach
- Jason Kreis (born 1972), American soccer player
- Wilhelm Kreis (1873–1955), German architect
In music and culture:
- Brockhaus Lexikon 2005 p506
- Brockhaus Lexikon 2005 p523 p730
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Note: This page may need to be cleaned up to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Further information might be found on the talk page. Tools: DabFix