LAMS Authoring Environment in Firefox
|Original author(s)||LAMS Foundation|
3.1 / December 2018
3.0.2 / June 2018
|Platform||WildFly Application Server|
|Available in||32 languages |
|Type||Online Education, Learning Design|
LAMS, the Learning Activity Management System, is an open source Learning Design system for designing, managing and delivering online collaborative learning activities. It provides teachers with a visual authoring environment for creating sequences of learning activities. These activities can include a range of individual tasks, small group work and whole class activities based on both content and collaboration. LAMS is 'inspired' by the concept and principles of IMS Learning Design.
LAMS is developed in collaboration with LAMS Foundation and a number of educational institutions around the world. LAMS has been developed since 2003.. LAMS International (Sydney) and LAMS Education Asia (Singapore) are commercial companies that provide development and support services for the LAMS platform.
The LAMS community website is a global community website for teachers and developers who use the LAMS software. As of March 2018, the LAMS Community had over 12000 members across 80 countries sharing 3750 sequences.
As of December 2018, the current stable version of LAMS is 3.1 Version 3.1 introduces learning outcomes, multiple lesson retries, grades weighting, improved content support, IMS LTI enhancement, updated all its tech stack and adds feature and technical improvements. 
LAMS integrations with other LMS
LAMS can be integrated with any LMS system that implement IMS LTI as a consumer. However, IMS LTI 1.2 has some important limitations, therefore native integration with other LMSs. LAMS is both a IMS LTI 1.3 consumer and service provider, including Deep Linking and Membership extensions.
The LAMS Tool Contract is an architecture to allow Tool Interoperability across Learning Management Systems (LMS). It allows tools (web applications) to become "pluggable" in any LMS. The LAMS Tool Contract is the underlying architecture of LAMS and currently tools from other platforms like Moodle and dotLRN can be used within LAMS.
These international conferences are academic conferences where papers submitted are peer-reviewed by members of the conference committee. The main topics of this conferences are LAMS and Learning Design and are mainly in English (although there has been one in Spanish). The first LAMS Conference was in Sydney Australia in December, 2006. Usually there are two conferences a year, one in Australia and one in Europe or Asia.
- The 1st International LAMS Conference. Sydney, Australia, December 2006 
- 2007 European LAMS Conference. UK, July 2007 
- The 2nd International LAMS Conference. Sydney, Australia, November 2007 
- Conferencia Iberoamericana LAMS 2008 / 2008 European LAMS Conference. Spain, June 2008 
- The 3rd International LAMS & Learning Design Conference. Sydney, Australia, December 2008 
- 2009 European LAMS & Learning Design Conference. UK, July 2009 
- The 4th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference. Sydney, December, 2009 
- 2010 European LAMS & Learning Design Conference. Oxford University, UK, July 2010 
- The 5th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference. Sydney, December 2010 
- 2011 Asia Pacific LAMS & Learning Design. Singapore, June, 2011 
- The 6th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference, Sydney, December 2011 
- The 7th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference, Sydney, December 2012 
- The 8th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference, Singapore 2013 
- The 9th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference, Singapore November 2014 
Awards and recognition
LAMS in conjunction with the associated LAMS Community won a Gold Award and Best Learning System at the IMS Global Learning Consortium's Learning Impact Awards (LIAs) in May 2009.
The LAMS community is rather inactive and support for LAMS is lacking with poor participation in its public community forums.
The documentation available for the solution is hence often outdated or incomplete, referencing versions that have passed end of life support.
User interface for LAMS is dated and has not kept up with modern UI standards.
- LAMS Internationalization website http://lamscommunity.org/i18n
- Learning Design inspiration - CETIS http://zope.cetis.ac.uk/content2/20031105152011
- Implementing learning design: the learning activity management system (LAMS) "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2011-04-26.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- For statistics for LAMS Community, March, 2018, http://lamscommunity.org/stats
- Download links and building instructions are provided on the LAMS Documentation Wiki at https://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Downloads
- LAMS 3.1 feature list https://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/LAMS+3.1+Feature+List
- LAMS "Tools Contract". TenCompetence Workshop. UPF - Barcelona. 21 de Junio 2007. Ernie Ghiglione & James Dalziel "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2007-08-22. Retrieved 2009-04-13.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Tool Adapters http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Tool+Adapters
- The First International LAMS Conference http://lamsfoundation.org/lams2006/
- The 1st International LAMS Conference http://lamsfoundation.org/lams2006/
- 2007 European LAMS Conference http://www.lamsfoundation.org/lams2007/
- The 2nd International LAMS Conference http://lams2007sydney.lamsfoundation.org/
- Conferencia Iberoamericana LAMS 2008 / 2008 European LAMS Conference http://lams2008.lamsfoundation.org/
- The 3rd International LAMS & Learning Design Conference http://lams2008sydney.lamsfoundation.org/
- 2009 European LAMS & Learning Design Conference http://lams2009.lamsfoundation.org/
- 4th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference in Sydney, December 2009 http://lams2009sydney.lamsfoundation.org/
- 2010 European LAMS & Learning Design Conference http://lams2010.lamsfoundation.org
- 5th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference http://lams2010sydney.lamsfoundation.org/
- 2011 Asia Pacific LAMS Conference http://lams2011.lamsfoundation.org
- 6th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference http://lams2011sydney.lamsfoundation.org/
- 7th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference http://lams2012sydney.lamsfoundation.org/
- 8th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference http://lams2013.lamsfoundation.org/
- 9th International LAMS & Learning Design Conference http://lams2014.lamsfoundation.org/
- IMS Learning Impact Awards 2009 http://www.imsglobal.org/pressreleases/pr090514.html
- "Welcome to the LAMS Community!". lamscommunity.org. Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "Home - LAMS Documents (English) - LAMS Foundation Wiki". wiki.lamsfoundation.org. Retrieved 2019-07-17.