LIPU, the Lega italiana protezione uccelli (En. “Italian League for Bird Protection”) is an Italian charitable organisation, founded in 1965 and devoted to the protection of the country’s wildlife with a particular focus on birds. It has a membership of 42,000 and is the Italian partner of Birdlife International. Moreover, it is one of the most important Italian environmentalist organizations with WWF Italia, Legambiente and Greenpeace Italia.
Its activities fall broadly within four main areas
- Species protection, including action against illegal shooting and trapping of birds
- The conservation and development of habitats important for species conservation
- Environmental education and the raising of public awareness over wildlife and conservation issues
- Lobbying for changes in Italian and EU law—or for the more rigorous application of existing law—related to wildlife protection.
- Official site ‹See Tfd›(in Italian)
- LIPU UK ‹See Tfd›(in English), the British society of LIPU supporters.
- Lega italiana protezione uccelli ‹See Tfd›(in English), the article on LIPU from the Birdlife International website.
|This article about an organisation based in Italy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|