|Location||St. Charles / Jefferson parishes, Louisiana, US|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Average depth||6 ft (1.8 m)|
Lake Cataouatche is a 9,280-acre lake located southwest of New Orleans, Louisiana in St. Charles and Jefferson Parishes. Lake Cataouatche is connected to Lake Salvador to the south by Bayou Couba and Bayou Bardeaux.
In 2011 during Bassmaster Classic XLI, Kevin VanDam fished the lake on the final day of the tournament. He caught bass totaling almost 29-pounds enabling him to win the tournament with a three-day total weight of 69 pounds, 11 ounces.
At the time of the Bassmaster Classic XLI the lake had a reported 98% coverage of the invasive species hydrilla. While considered an aquatic invasive species the plant contributed habitat (grass beds) for bass and the area fishing industry. A new diversion canal was opened to allow water from the Mississippi River to be channeled into the 6 miles long by 4 miles wide lake without going through any sediment ponds. This has been controversial as the water remains muddy and the plant needs sunlight. The LDWF spraying of the plants was also to blame but the departments stated they only sprayed boating paths once because there were complaints. Bass fishing has seen an increase in Lake Salvador since grass has started grown there.
- "Lake Cataouatche". Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Retrieved 2014-01-12.
- "Geologic Resources Inventory Scoping Summary Jean Lafitte National Historical Park, Louisiana" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- Stahls, Paul. Lammert, Ron, ed. Jefferson Parish: [Rich Heritage Promising Future]. San Antonio, TX: Historical Publishing Network. p. 69. ISBN 9781893619975. Retrieved January 11, 2014.
- "Why did Kevin VanDam win the 2011 Bassmaster Classic? Confidence". bassmaster.com. Retrieved 2014-01-14.
- Louisiana Marine Education Resources: Hydrilla- Retrieved 2017-11-12
- Louisiana Sportsman: Lake Cataouatche bass fishing falls off hard with disappearance of hydrilla - Retrieved 2017-12-10
|This Louisiana state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|