Lake Christine Fire
|Lake Christine Fire|
|Location||Basalt and Carbondale, Colorado, Eagle County, Colorado, United States|
|Date(s)||July 3, 2018– September 4, 2018|
|Burned area||12,588 acres (51 km2)|
|Perpetrator(s)||(alleged) Richard Karl Miller and Allison Sarah Marcus|
The Lake Christine Fire was a wildfire which burned near Basalt and Carbondale, Colorado, United States, in Eagle County. The Lake Christine Fire started on July 3, 2018 and was later downgraded to a Burned Area Response on September 4, 2018. The fire burned a total of 12,588 acres. 90% contained.
The fire started at around 6 PM on July 3, 2018, near the Basalt Shooting Range. It was believed to have been started by Richard Karl Miller, 23, and Allison Sarah Marcus, 22, who were using illegal tracer rounds at the Shooting Range during Stage 2 fire restrictions in Eagle County. They both face 4th degree arson charges. The shooting range had not been closed down by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (who operates the shooting range) before the fire started, despite the fire restrictions.
The fire destroyed three homes on and along the mountside which the fire burned.
On September 4, 2018, the fire was downgraded to a Burned Area Response.
Upper Cattle Creek in the southbound direction and Kelly Lake Road were closed.
500 homes were evacuated under mandatory evacuations in Missouri Heights, the El Jebel Mobile Home Park and on other parts of Basalt Mountain. These evacuations were later lifted.
On July 20, 2018 the fire grew yet again, causing pre evacuation orders to be put in place for Cedar Dr, Toner Creek, Seven Castles and Taylor Rd. These evacuations were later lifted.
- "Lake Christine Fire". InciWeb. US Forest Service. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- "2 people shooting tracer rounds accused of starting Lake Christine Fire". FOX31 Denver. 2018-07-05. Retrieved 2018-07-06.
- "New Evacuations, 3 Homes Destroyed By Lake Christine Fire Near Basalt". CBS Denver. 2018-07-05. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- "Lake Christine Fire Map". Google My Maps. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- Roberts, Michael (2018-07-05). "Lake Christine Fire Update: 500 Homes Evacuated as Burning Acreage Grows". Westword. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- "Basalt High School evacuation center closed, school programs resume Tuesday". Post Independent. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- "Evacuees from Lake Christine Fire find relief at evacuation center". Aspen Times. Retrieved 2018-07-05.
- "New pre-evacuation notices issued for Lake Christine Fire". FOX31 Denver. 2018-07-20. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
|This wildfire-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Colorado-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|