Lake Oswego School District
|Lake Oswego School District|
|Lake Oswego, Oregon|
|Type||Public school district|
|Superintendent||Michael Musick (interim)|
|Students and staff|
The Lake Oswego School District (7J) is a public school district serving Lake Oswego, Oregon, United States, a suburb 10 miles south of Portland. The district comprises 10 primary and secondary schools with a total enrollment of 7,084 as of 2017. According to the Oregon Department of Education's 2010 District and School Report Card study, all 10 schools in the Lake Oswego School District received excellent ratings. Out of the 1,253 schools in Oregon, only 124 other schools received such a high rating.
Lakewood School was built in 1928. The school closed in 1979 and the Lakewood Center for the Arts began leasing the building in 1980. The center made its final payment to purchase the building from the school district in 1987.
In 2011, the school board approved the closure of three elementary schools as a cost-saving measure. Palisades Elementary was closed in 2012 and Bryant and Uplands Elementary Schools were closed in 2013. It was estimated that the closures would save the district about $2.3 million a year. After the plan was completed, the former Bryant Elementary building become a part of Lakeridge Junior High School and the district's junior high schools switched to sixth through eighth grade. Sixth grade was previously part of the elementary schools. In 2015, a majority of the former Palisades Elementary building was leased to the Lake Oswego Parks and Recreation Department.
In the 2016-2017 school year, 52.0% of the students were male and 48.0% were female. 75.0% were White, 9.9% Asian, 7.4% Multiracial, 6.4% Hispanic/Latino, 0.8% Black/African American, 0.3% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, and 0.2% American Indian/Alaska Native.
There are five school board members, each serving four-year terms.
|5||Bob Barman (Chair)||2019|
- Lake Oswego Junior High
- Lakeridge Junior High
- Forest Hills Elementary
- Hallinan Elementary
- Lake Grove Elementary
- Oak Creek Elementary
- River Grove Elementary
- Westridge Elementary
- "Oregon Department of Education : Student Enrollment Reports : Students : State of Oregon". www.oregon.gov. Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- "AYP and Report Card Download". Oregon Department of Education. Retrieved August 17, 2011.
- Dunis, Nancy (2015-05-21). "Lake Oswego residents remember Lakewood School". Lake Oswego Review. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- Bastian, Joanne. "Lakewood Center Background" (PDF). Lakewood Center. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "Lake Oswego board votes to close 3 schools over next 2 years". OregonLive.com. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- Sorenson, Saundra (2015-08-19). "Parks & Rec begins move to Palisades Elementary". Portland Tribune. Retrieved 2017-10-13.
- "School Board / School Board Members". www.losdschools.org. Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- Lake Oswego School District (official website)