|Birth name||Lance James Liebenberg|
|Also known as||"Big Daddy"|
|Born||July 18, 1938|
Germiston, South Africa
|Died||March 2, 2020 (aged 81)|
Johannesburg, South Africa
|Occupation(s)||Singer, radio host|
Lance James (18 July 1938 – 2 March 2020) was a South African country singer and radio broadcaster (Springbok Radio, 1954–1985). Some of his hits include Thank You, Vicki and Ahoy, Madagascar Ahoy !. During Huisgenoot's 2009 Skouspel he (along with nine other singers) was honored for their lifelong contribution to Afrikaans and South African music.
Suffering from heart problems and other aged health issues, he was admitted to a Johannesburg hospital in 2020.: 2 There he broke a hip and would later pass away from an infection after hip surgery, several weeks in hospital.: 2  He is survived by his two daughters Chanel and Dionne, three grandchildren Tyron, Declan and Lilly-Joy, son-in-law’s Glenn Floyd and Benjy Mudie, business partner Mara van der Burgh and partner Eunice Wait 
In 2019, he was honoured for his life work by Federasie van Afrikaanse Kulturvereniginge. Other awards include a Beeld Award for contribution to Afrikaans music, a Solidarity Award, six Sarie Awards and several awards for "Best Album of the Year", and a Life Time Achievement Award. On 26 January 2020, Lance was also inaugurated as a living legend in the South African Legends Museum. He was one of only 20 legends from whom a bust was also made.
- Chilvers, Garth (1994). History of contemporary music of South Africa. Toga. ISBN 9780620181211.
- "Veteran Afrikaans singer Lance James has died". TimesLIVE. Retrieved 11 January 2021.
- Roets, Adriaan (3 March 2020). "Lance James dies, aged 81". The Citizen (South Africa).
- "EXCLUSIVE: Remembering a legend (Video)". Brakpan Herald. 3 March 2020. Retrieved 13 December 2020.
- "South African country singer Lance James, 81, dies". Channel24. Retrieved 13 December 2020.
- Roets, Adriaan (7 March 2020). "Lance James: A lasting legacy". The Citizen (South Africa).
- Zeeman, Kylie (4 March 2020). "Veteran Afrikaans singer Lance James". Daily Dispatch (South Africa).
- "Legendary country singer Lance James dies". Jacaranda FM. Retrieved 13 December 2020.