It consists of the French feminine singular article la followed by the past participle of prendre (to take, to seize), prise, and maybe translated into English as "the catch" or "the taking". As a toponymic surname it may have been connected to newly cultivated land claimed from the wilderness or could have denoted as an occupational surname a hunter, trapper or soldier.
Notable people with the name Laprise/LaPrise include:
- Chad Laprise (born 1986), Canadian professional mixed martial artist
- Gérard Laprise (1925–2000), Social Credit Party and Ralliement créditiste member of the House of Commons of Canada
- Larry LaPrise (1912–1996), American songwriter and musician
- Normand Laprise (born 1961), French Canadian chef and author
- "Laprise Family History". ancestry.com. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
French Canadian: secondary surname, which has been used independently since 1734.
- "Laprise Family Crest, Coat of Arms, Name History and Name Meaning". houseofnames.com. Swyrich Corporation. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
The surname Laprise was first found in Brittany.
- "Statistics and meaning of name Laprise". namespedia.com. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
Surname Laprise is used at least 1522 times in at least 5 countries.
- "Laprise Surname Meaning & Statistics". forebears.io. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "LaPrise meaning – Last name LaPrise origin". nameslist.org. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
It means one who comes from a place called "The Taking", place-name evoking a meadow, a cultivable land taken over the marshes or on rocky land.
|surname Laprise. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|