Larkin Community Hospital
|Larkin Community Hospital|
|Location||7031 Southwest 62nd Avenue, South Miami, Florida, US|
Larkin Community Hospital (LCH) is a for-profit 146-bed general medical and surgical teaching hospital. In the last year with available data, LCH had about 7,523 emergency room visits and 5,792 admissions. Physicians at the hospital performed 794 inpatient and 739 outpatient surgeries.
LCH is the only hospital in Miami-Dade County with an Area of Critical Need designation by the Florida Board of Medicine. It is a physician-owned hospital and it is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). Larkin Community Hospital is a participating member of the American Hospital Associations of Hospital Quality Alliance. As of June, 2014, the hospital had 895 employees.
Larkin Community Hospital is also the home of
Miami Neuroscience Center at Larkin
The Miami Neuroscience Center at Larkin is a state-of-the-art facility which specializes in Gamma Knife®. This 25 members team, led by neurosurgeon Dr. Aizik Wolf, has performed over 8,000 procedures during the past 20 years. Gamma Knife® is a non-invasive state of the art neurological procedure used to treat brain tumors, head and neck cancer, and neurological conditions such as trigeminal neuralgia and arteriovenous malformations.
Center for Advanced Orthopedics at Larkin
||This article appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. (May 2016)|
The Center for Advanced Orthopedics at Larkin specializes in orthopedic surgery using the latest multimodal perioperative pain management modalities and state-of-the-art instrumentation with robotic technology. The center, led by orthopedic surgeon Dr. Carlos Lavernia, includes an outcomes-oriented robust research component with an ongoing prospective surgical registry and a comprehensive rehabilitation department.
Outpatient Behavioral Health
Larkin Community Hospital's Outpatient Behavioral Health Department offers counseling services.
Larkin Outpatient Multi Specialty Center
The Larkin Outpatient Multi Specialty Center is staffed by a variety of board- certified physicians from different specialties.
The following is a list of medical care provided at Larkin Outpatient Multi Specialty Center:
- Sports Medicine
- Orthopedics and Pain Management
- Neuromuscular Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Internal Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- General Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Hematology & Oncology
- Regenerative Medicine
Graduate medical education
Larkin Community Hospital operates a number of graduate medical education programs (residencies and fellowships). All programs are accredited by the American Osteopathic Association, with the exception of the psychiatry residency program, which is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). LCH also operates podiatry and dentistry residency programs. As of 2013, the hospital had 147 medical residents in 30 different programs. In March 2014, LCH began accepting applicants for its new Advance Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) residency program.
Summary of accredited Graduate Medical Education programs offered at LCH:
- AOA Accredited Family Medicine Residency
- AOA Accredited General Psychiatry Residency
- AOA Accredited Integrated Family Medicine and Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine Residency
- AOA Accredited Internal Medicine Residency
- ACGME Accredited General Psychiatry Residency
- AOA Accredited Traditional Rotating Internship
- AOA Accredited Hospice and Palliative Care Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Endocrinology Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Dermatology Residency
- AOA Accredited MOHS Micrographic & Cutaneous Surgery Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Neurology Residency
- AOA Accredited Ophthalmology Residency
- AOA accredited Diagnostic Radiology Residency
- AOA accredited Anesthesiology Residency
- AOA Accredited Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Residency
- AOA Accredited Sports Medicine Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Rheumatology Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Geriatric Medicine Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Addiction Medicine Fellowship
- AOA Accredited General Surgery Residency
- AOA Accredited Allergy and Immunology Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Sleep Medicine Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Hematology and Oncology Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Gastroenterology Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Infectious Disease Fellowship
- AOA Accredited Pain Medicine Fellowship
- Advanced Education in General Dentistry Residency)
The residents at the Graduate Medical Educational Program at Larkin Community Hospital obtain training and experience working at affiliated training sites such as:
- Nicklaus Children’s Hospital
- Hialeah Hospital
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- Miami Jewish Home & Hospital
- Palmer Children’s Hospital, Orlando Florida
- West Penn Allegheny Health System Hospitals, Pittsburg, PA
- Borinquen Health Care Center, Miami, FL.
- Miami Beach Community Health Center
- Community Health of South Florida
- Jessie Trice Health Community Health Center
- Beraja Medical Institute
- Vitas Hospice and palliative Care System
Larkin Community Hospital is also a National Health Services Corps (NHSC) site designated by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the United States Department of Health and Human Services. The NHSC Loan Repayment Program offers primary care providers the opportunity to have their student loans repaid for serving communities in need. The NHSC Scholarship Program awards scholarships each year to students pursuing careers in primary care. In return, students commit to serving for two to four years, upon graduation and completion of training.
Larkin Community Hospital is located at 7031 Southwest 62nd Avenue South Miami, Florida 33143
In April 2013, LCH purchased a 43-acre (17 ha) parcel of land that the hospital intends to use for a new osteopathic medical school campus. LCH also plans to move its current nursing school to that new campus, and open future programs in pharmacy and dentistry.
- Bandell, Brian (Apr 23, 2013). "Larkin hospital closes 48-acre purchase for medical school campus". South Florida Business Journal.
- "Larkin Community Hospital". US News & World Report.
- Dinkova, Lidia (March 26, 2014). "Enough dentists, but where?". Miami Today.
- The Leapfrog Group Names 2013 Top Hospitals
- "Larkin Community Hospital Wins Top Urban Hospital Award", South Florida Hospital News and Healthcare Report, January 2014