Larkin Community Hospital
|Larkin Community Hospital|
|Location||7031 Southwest 62nd Avenue, South Miami, Florida, US|
Larkin Community Hospital (LCH) is a for-profit 146-bed general medical, surgical and psychiatric teaching hospital. In the last year with available data, LCH had about 7,523 emergency room visits and 5,792 admissions. Physicians at the hospital performed 794 inpatient and 739 outpatient surgeries.
LCH is the only hospital in Miami-Dade County with an Area of Critical Need designation by the Florida Board of Medicine. It is a physician-owned hospital and it is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). Larkin Community Hospital is a participating member of the American Hospital Associations of Hospital Quality Alliance. As of June, 2014, the hospital had 895 employees.
- 1 Larkin Community Hospital is also the home of
- 2 Graduate medical education
- 3 Campus
- 4 Awards
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Larkin Community Hospital is also the home of
Miami Neuroscience Center at Larkin
The Miami Neuroscience Center at Larkin is a state-of-the-art facility which specializes in Gamma Knife®. This 25 members team, led by neurosurgeon Dr. Aizik Wolf, has performed over 8,000 procedures during the past 20 years. Gamma Knife® is a non-invasive state of the art neurological procedure used to treat brain tumors, head and neck cancer, and neurological conditions such as trigeminal neuralgia and arteriovenous malformations.
Center for Advanced Orthopedics at Larkin
||This article appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. (May 2016)|
The Center for Advanced Orthopedics at Larkin specializes in orthopedic surgery using the latest multimodal perioperative pain management modalities and state-of-the-art instrumentation with robotic technology. The center, led by orthopedic surgeon Dr. Michele D'Apuzzo, includes an outcomes-oriented robust research component with an ongoing prospective surgical registry and a comprehensive rehabilitation department.
Cancer Center at Larkin
The Cancer Center at Larkin led by internationally renowned Hematologist/Oncologist Dr. Orlando Silva specializes in providing the latest advances in the treatment of breast cancer. Treatments available at the center include chemotherapy, Biologic agents, and endocrine therapy. In addition to traditional Breast cancer treatments, Dr. Silva advocates for the prevention of cancer occurrence and/or recurrence through nutrition, anti-inflammatory, and immune system boosting treatments.
Florida Academic Dermatology Center at Larkin
The Florida Academic Dermatology Center at Larkin is one of the few inpatient dermatology units in the United States. Led by world renowned academic dermatologist Dr. Francisco Kerdel, this department provides specialized care for severe dermatological conditions including but not limited to immunobullous disorders, collagen vascular diseases and papulosquamous disorders. In addition, the center specialize in the care of cutaneous T-Cell lymphoma, and chronic Graft vs Host disease. This center is equipped with photopheresis, hydrotherapy and phototherapy units which are effective in the treatment of many dermatologic disorders.
Outpatient Behavioral Health
Larkin Community Hospital's Outpatient Behavioral Health Department offers counseling services.
Larkin Outpatient Multi Specialty Center
The Larkin Outpatient Multi Specialty Center is staffed by a variety of board- certified physicians from different specialties.
The following is a list of medical care provided at Larkin Outpatient Multi Specialty Center:
- Sports Medicine
- Orthopedics and Pain Management
- Neuromuscular Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Internal Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Osteophatic Medicine
- General Surgery
- Hematology & Oncology
- Regenerative Medicine
Graduate medical education
Larkin Community Hospital operates a number of graduate medical education programs (residencies and fellowships). All programs are accredited by the American Osteopathic Association, with the exception of the psychiatry residency program, which is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). LCH also operates podiatry and dentistry residency programs. As of 2013, the hospital had 147 medical residents in 30 different programs. In March 2014, LCH began accepting applicants for its new Advance Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) residency program.
Summary of accredited Graduate Medical Education programs offered at LCH:
• AOA Accredited Family Medicine Program
• AOA Accredited Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine Integrated Program
• AOA Accredited Internal Medicine Program
• AOA Accredited Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Gastroenterology fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Infectious Disease Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Rheumatology Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Geriatric Medicine Fellowship (IM) Program
• AOA Accredited Allergy and Immunology Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Endocrinology Fellowship Program
• ACGME Accredited Psychiatry residency Program
• AOA Accredited Psychiatry Residency Program
• AOA Accredited Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Traditional Rotating Internship Program
• AOA Accredited Hospice and Palliative Care Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Dermatology residency Program
• AOA Accredited MOHS Micrographic Surgery Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Pediatric Dermatology Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Dermatopathology Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Neurology Residency Program
• AOA Accredited Ophthalmology Residency Program
• AOA accredited Radiology Residency Program
• AOA accredited Anesthesiology Residency Program
• AOA Accredited Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency Program
• AOA Accredited General Surgery Residency Program
• AOA Accredited Orthopedics Residency Program
• AOA Accredited Sleep Medicine Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Pain Medicine Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Sports Medicine Program
• AOA Accredited Addiction Medicine Fellowship Program
• AOA Accredited Geriatric Medicine Fellowship (FM) Program
The residents at the Graduate Medical Educational Program at Larkin Community Hospital obtain training and experience working at affiliated training sites such as:
- Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Holtz Children's Hospital, Miami, FL
- Miami Children's Hospital, Miami, FL
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, Ohio
- West Penn Allegheny Health System Hospitals, Pittsburg, PA
- Borinquen Health Care Center, Miami, FL
- Miami Beach Community Health Center, Miami, FL
- Community Health of South Florida (CHI), Miami, FL
- Jessie Trice Health Community Health Center, Miami, FL
Larkin Community Hospital is also a National Health Services Corps (NHSC) site designated by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the United States Department of Health and Human Services. The NHSC Loan Repayment Program offers primary care providers the opportunity to have their student loans repaid for serving communities in need. The NHSC Scholarship Program awards scholarships each year to students pursuing careers in primary care. In return, students commit to serving for two to four years, upon graduation and completion of training.
Larkin Community Hospital is located at 7031 Southwest 62nd Avenue South Miami, Florida 33143.
In April 2013, LCH purchased a 43-acre (17 ha) parcel of land that the hospital intends to use for a new osteopathic medical school campus. LCH also plans to move its current nursing school to that new campus, and open future programs in pharmacy and dentistry.
In February 2016, Larkin Community Hospital acquired Palm Springs General Hospital now called Larkin Community Hospital Palm Springs Campus, located at 1475 W 49th Pl, Hialeah, FL 33012.
- Bandell, Brian (Apr 23, 2013). "Larkin hospital closes 48-acre purchase for medical school campus". South Florida Business Journal.
- "Larkin Community Hospital". US News & World Report.
- Dinkova, Lidia (March 26, 2014). "Enough dentists, but where?". Miami Today.
- The Leapfrog Group Names 2013 Top Hospitals
- "Larkin Community Hospital Wins Top Urban Hospital Award", South Florida Hospital News and Healthcare Report, January 2014