(Payraudeau, 1826, Sardinia and Corsica)
The Audouin's gull (Ichthyaetus audouinii) is a large gull restricted to the Mediterranean and the western coast of Saharan Africa and the Iberian peninsula. The genus name is from Ancient Greek ikhthus, "fish", and aetos, "eagle", and the specific audouinii and the English name are after the French naturalist Jean Victoire Audouin.
In the late 1960s, this was one of the world's rarest gulls, with a population of only 1,000 pairs. It has established new colonies, but remains rare with a population of about 10,000 pairs.
This species, unlike many large gulls, rarely scavenges, but is a specialist fish eater, and is therefore strictly coastal and pelagic. This bird will feed at night, often well out to sea, but also slowly patrols close into beaches, occasionally dangling its legs to increase drag.
The adult basically resembles a small European herring gull, the most noticeable differences being the short stubby red bill and "string of pearls" white wing primary tips, rather than the large "mirrors" of some other species. The legs are grey-green. It takes four years to reach adult plumage.
This species shows little tendency to wander from its breeding areas, but there were single records in the Netherlands and England in May 2003, and one spent from December 2016 to April 2017 in Trinidad.
The Audouin's gull is one of the species to which the Agreement on the Conservation of African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbirds (AEWA) applies.
- Symes, A. (2015). "Larus audouinii". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2015: e.T22694313A83914506. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- Jobling, James A (2010). The Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names. London: Christopher Helm. pp. 60, 224. ISBN 978-1-4081-2501-4.
- Kenefick, Martyn 2017; Fourteenth Report of the Trinidad and Tobago Birds Status and Distribution Committee Records Submitted during 2016; Living World, J. Trinidad and Tobago Field Naturalist�s Club
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ichthyaetus audouinii.|
|Wikispecies has information related to Ichthyaetus audouinii|
- BirdLife species factsheet for Ichthyaetus audouinii
- "Ichthyaetus audouinii". Avibase.
- "Audouin's gull media". Internet Bird Collection.
- Audouin's gull photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Interactive range map of Larus audouinii at IUCN Red List maps
- Audio recordings of Audouin's gull on Xeno-canto.
- Ichthyaetus audouinii in the Flickr: Field Guide Birds of the World
- Audouin's gull media at ARKive