|Born||February 19, 1975|
Lata Gouveia (born February 19, 1975 in Lisbon) is a singer-songwriter, guitarist and producer. He is a well-known Red Dirt artist in Oklahoma and a reference of Americana music in Luxembourg, Belgium and the north of France.
Life and career
He grew up in Luxembourg, where his father worked for the European Court of Justice. At the age of 17 he went to London, played music in bars, and was a member of various bands. From 1993 to 1999 he studied economics, at UCL University of London and politics at London Guildhall University at bachelor and master level London Metropolitan University, finishing his studies with bachelor's degrees. In 2001, he founded the company Desert Fish Productions. From 2002 to 2006, he had a band called Lata Dog, releasing an album in 2004. In 2003 he wrote the song "Três desafios" for the soundtrack of the film "Tudo isto é Fado", directed by Luís Galvão Teles.
In 2007, he moved to Oklahoma at the invitation of Rocky Frisco, who had played together with JJ Cale, one of Gouveia's musical heroes. There he came into contact with many folk musicians and created close friendships with Tom Skinner, Dustin Pittsley and Steve Pryor. In 2009 Lata produced the documentary "Red Dirt: Songs from the Dust", which was awarded best music documentary at the Bare Bones International Film Festival. His 2008 album Road US-75 was released by Captiva Records, in San Marcos, Texas. His 2011 cover version of Monica Taylor's song "Young Mother" was featured on the NME website.
Since 2010 he is living in Luxembourg again and has become one brightest stars in the national scene, headlining several festivals and opening for Ayọ, Charlie Winston, Kiefer Sutherland, Alan Parsons, BAP and others. He composed the music for the documentary "Terra mia terra nostra" (2012), directed by Donato Rotunno. In 2013 he won the band contest Purple Idol and played at the Rock um Knuedler festival as support for BAP. The music video of his single "Radio Night" features Sascha Ley and Lucien Elsen, two well-known actors in Luxembourg. His recent band consists of Daniela Kruger (bass), Paul Porcelli (guitar) and Jeff Herr(drums).
- Lead the way (with Lata Dog, 2004)
- Dead time (2007)
- Road US-75 (2008)
- Radio Night (Single, 2013)
- Chico (Single, 2014)
- Radio Nights (2014)
- Live at Kufa (2015)
- Radio Cuts 2008-2015 (EP, 2015)
- Healed & Gone (2018)
- "Sam's Scene Interview: Lata Gouveia takes 'Millennium Road' to Kulturfabrik". Luxemburger Wort. 17 September 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Building a song catalogue, from the ground up - Delano - Luxembourg in English". Delano.lu. 8 December 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Lata Gouveia - LinkedIn". Archived from the original on 23 July 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "DESERT FISH PRODUCTIONS LIMITED, SL7 1JY BUCKINGHAMSHIRE Financial Information". Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "FILMOGRAFIA - TUDO ISTO É FADO". Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Red Dirt ... songs from the dust". Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- NME.COM. "NME Videos - NME.COM". Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Tarantula Luxembourg". www.tarantula.lu. Archived from the original on 23 July 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2016.