This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Original Laugh Factory in Hollywood, CA
|Address||8001 Sunset Boulevard|
|Location||Los Angeles, California|
|Owner||Jamie Masada |
Michael Richards incident
Michael Richards went into a racist outburst during a November 17, 2006 standup comedy routine at the venue. In response to that incident, The Laugh Factory banned comedians from using the word "nigger" in their acts. The first known incident involving this new rule involved Damon Wayans (himself an African-American), who used the word 16 times in a 20-minute show. He was fined $320 ($20 for each offense) and given a 3-month ban from the club. The ban actually lasted just a month as he was back performing in January.
Charity fundraisers have been held at the club, including benefit nights for the Red Cross, USO, Cops For Causes, Comics Without Borders, Wounded Warriors, Middle Eastern Comedy Fest, and Stand Up For Pakistan.
|April 10, 2007||3:50||Dane Cook|
|April 15, 2007||6:07||Dave Chappelle|
|December 3, 2007||6:12||Dave Chappelle|
|January 2, 2008||7:34||Dane Cook|
Guinness World Record
On December 8, 2010 at 4:38pm the Laugh Factory broke the Guinness World Record for Longest Continuous Stand Up Comedy Show (Multiple Comedians). The record was previously held by Comic Strip Live, who set the original record of 50 hours. The Laugh Factory surpassed 50 hours on Wednesday and continued non-stop until 10:38pm Thursday December 9 when they stopped and set a new record of 80 hours. Dom Irrera was on stage when the record was broken, and Deon Cole was on stage when the new record was set. The event, titled "Toy to the World," was paired with a Toy Drive for Children's Hospital. Over 130 different comedians performed and the event was live-streamed over the internet. The Laugh Factory held this record until April 15, 2015, when the record was broken by jokesters at The East Room in Nashville, Tennessee.
Outlets of the chain are located in:
- Long Beach. Houses the "Laugh Factory Stand-up Comedy Hall of Fame and Museum".
- Las Vegas
Notes and references
- "Comedian Dave Chappelle and Laugh Factory Charged With Murder?". The Huffington Post. 29 April 2014.
- "Laugh Factory owner is serious about comedy". latimes.
- "Jamie Masada of The Laugh Factory is Today's Honoree". Today's Honoree is The #1 Blog For Recognizing The Works of Others.
- TMZ Staff. "Wayans Drops N-Bomb, Faces Fallout looks like they need to give the Freedom of Speech Award back". TMZ. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- TMZ Staff. "Laugh Factory "Ban" a Joke, Wayans to Perform". TMZ. Retrieved 2012-05-16.
- "Stand-Up Comedy Bridges Boundaries Between Pakistan And India — By Crossing The Line : NPR". NPR.org. 20 February 2016.
- Josef Adalian (2007-04-16). "Chappelle pulls all-nighter at Factory". Variety.
- "Dave Chappelle Breaks Own Standup Endurance Record". The Huffington Post. 21 October 2009.
- "Dane Cook Breaks Dave Chappelle's Laugh Factory Endurance Record". Fox News.
- "Culture Monster". Los Angeles Times.
- Conzett, Lance (16 April 2015). "Local Comics Set the World Record for Longest Comedy Show and Aren't Stopping". Nashville Scene. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
- https://www.funex.com/Catalog/tabid/81/CategoryID/112/Default.aspx[permanent dead link]
- "Comedy Of Chicago: Open Mics".
- "Las Vegas Comedy Shows - Laugh Factory at Tropicana Las Vegas".
- "Laugh Factory - Silver Legacy's Comedy Club".
- "Free Comedy Wed".
- "Scottsdale Comedy Club".
- "Laugh Factory Visits The Hotel Del Coronado For The Summer". Coronado Eagle & Journal - Coronado News - Coronado Island News.