||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
February 15, 1935
|Spouse(s)||Bernice Lieberman (1956–)|
|Alma mater||University California|
Born February 16, 1935, in Detroit, Michigan, he studied at the University of Michigan, (BA 1956, MA 1958) and did graduate study (1958–60) at the University of California, Berkeley. He taught at Orange Coast College, 1960–64; College of the Virgin Islands, 1964–68; and since 1968 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as professor of English and creative writing.
He is married to his wife of 60 years Bernice Lieberman. They have 3 children and 4 grandchildren. Lieberman attended medical school before leaving to pursue his passion for poetry.
- Carib's Leap: Selected and New Poems of the Caribbean, poetry (Leeds, England: Peepal Tree Press, 2005).
- Hour of the Mango Black Moon, poetry (Leeds, England: Peepal Tree Press, 2004).
- Flight from the Mother Stone, poetry (Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 2000).
- The Regatta in the Skies: Selected Long Poems, poetry (Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1999).
- Compass of the Dying: Poems, poetry (Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 1998).
- Dark Songs: Slave House and Synagogue: Poems, poetry (Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 1996).
- Beyond the Muse of Memory: Essays on Contemporary American Poets, nonfiction (Columbia: University of Missouri Press, 1995).
- New and Selected Poems, 1962-92, poetry (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1993).
- The Creole Mephistopheles , poetry (New York: Scribner's, 1989).
- The Mural of Wakeful Sleep, poetry (New York: Macmillan, 1985).
- Eros at the World Kite Pageant: Poems 1979-82, poetry (New York: Macmillan, 1983).
- God's Measurements, poetry (New York: Macmillan, 1980).
- Unassigned Frequencies: American Poetry in Review 1964-77, nonfiction (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1977).
- The Osprey Suicides, poetry (New York: Macmillan, 1973).
- The Achievement of James Dickey: A Comprehensive Selection of His Poems with a Critical Introduction, (editor), nonfiction (New York: Scott, Foresman, 1969).
- The Unblinding, poetry (New York: Macmillan, 1968).
Laurence Lieberman has been published in "every major venue for poetry in America," including The New Yorker, Poetry Weekly, Poetry Review, The Atlantic, Harpers, The Hudson Review, among them.
Contemporary Authors Online. The Gale Group, 2005.
|This biographical article about an American poet born in the 1930s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|