The least flycatcher (Empidonax minimus), (also called chebec, or chebecker, after the sound it makes), is a small insect-eating bird. It is the smallest Empidonax flycatcher in eastern North America.
The least flycatcher is between 5 and 5 3⁄4 inches (13 and 15 cm) long, with a 7 1⁄2 to 8 1⁄2 in (19 to 22 cm) spread. It typically weighs around 11 grams (0.39 oz). Adults have greyish-olive upperparts, darker on the wings and tail, with whitish underparts; they have a conspicuous white eye ring, white wing bars, a small, short bill and a short tail. The breast is washed with grey and the sides of the belly with yellow. It is similar in appearance to the larger eastern wood pewee.
Distribution and habitat
They wait on an open perch low or in the middle of a tree and fly out to catch insects in flight (hawking), also sometimes picking insects from foliage while hovering (gleaning). They sometimes eat berries.
The song is a dry che-bec. The call is a sharp whit.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Empidonax minimus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Forbush, Edward Howe; May, John Bichard (1955). A Natural History of American Birds of Eastern and Central North America. Bramhall Books. pp. 318–319. ISBN 978-1-258-21691-7.
- McGillivray, William Bruce; Semenchuk, Glen Peter (1998). Federation of Alberta Naturalists Field Guide to Alberta Birds. Nature Alberta. p. 181. ISBN 978-0-9696134-2-8. Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Least Flycatcher". Nova Scotia Museum. Archived from the original on 26 September 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Least Flycatcher". All About Birds. Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Empidonax minimus.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Empidonax minimus|
- Least Flycatcher videos, photos, and sounds at the Internet Bird Collection
- Empidonax minimus on Avibase
- Least Flycatcher - Empidonax minimus at the USGS Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
- Least Flycatcher photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Interactive range map of Empidonax minimus at IUCN Red List maps