Lee A. Thompson
|Lee A. Thompson|
|Born||Lee Anne Thompson|
|Fields||behavioral genetics, Intelligence research|
|Institutions||Case Western Reserve University|
|Alma mater||University of Colorado Boulder|
|Known for||Twin study on communication disorders|
|Notable awards||named top educator of first-year students in the U.S.|
Thompson earned her B.A. from Case Western Reserve University in 1982, then attended University of Colorado at Boulder, earning an M.A. in 1985 and her Ph.D. in 1987. She currently teaches at Case Western and is on the editorial board of Intelligence.
In 1994 she was one of 52 signatories on "Mainstream Science on Intelligence," an editorial written by Linda Gottfredson and published in the Wall Street Journal, which declared the consensus of the signing scholars on issues related to race and intelligence following the publication of the book The Bell Curve. Thompson has published studies with other signatories, including Douglas Detterman, Robert Plomin, and David Lubinski.
She has worked on studies attempting to locate DNA markers associated with high and low intelligence quotient. Thompson has also used fMRI to localize areas in the brain related to concentration.
In February 2013 Thompson was named top educator of first-year students in the U.S.
- Lewis BA, Thompson LA. A Study of Developmental Speech and Language Disorders in Twins. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research Vol.35 1086-1094 October 1992.
- Gottfredson, Linda (December 13, 1994). Mainstream Science on Intelligence. Wall Street Journal, p A18.
- Robert Plomin1, Gerald E. McClearn1, Deborah L. Smith1, Sylvia Vignetti1, Michael J. Chorney2, Karen Chorney2, Charles P. Venditti2, Steven Kasarda2, Lee A. Thompson3, Douglas K. Detterman3, Johanna Daniels4, 5, Michael Owen4, 5 and Peter McGuffin4DNA markers associated with high versus low IQ: The IQ quantitative trait loci (QTL) project. Behavior Genetics Volume 24, Number 2, March 1994 Pages: 107 - 118
- Lewin, Jonathan S.; Friedman, Lee; Wu, Dee; Miller, David A.; Thompson, Lee A.; Klein, Susan K.; Wise, Alexandria L.; Hedera, Peter; Buckley, Peter; Meltzer, Herbert; Friedland, Robert P.; Duerk, Jeffrey L. Cortical Localization of Human Sustained Attention: Detection with Functional MR Using a Visual Vigilance Paradigm. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography. 20(5):695-701, September/October 1996.
- cwru-daily.com, 02/22/2013
- Lee A. Thompson profile via Case Western
|This biography of an American psychologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|