Lee Presson and the Nails
|Lee Presson and the Nails|
Lee Presson performing in California in 2007.
|Origin||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Genres||Swing revival, big band|
|Years active||1994-2004; 2006–present|
Lee Presson and the Nails (also known as LPN) is a swing band that formed in the San Francisco Bay Area in October 1994 during the late 1990s swing revival. As of 2010, the band has released five albums.
Formation and awards
LPN differentiated themselves from other bands of the late '90s swing revival by their wacky stage antics and the sinister appearance of band leader Lee Presson. The San Francisco Chronicle described LPN in 1996 by coining the term "Goth Swing." The band won a California Music Award (Bammie) in 1998 for Best Swing/Cabaret Act, and a SF Weekly Award for Best Swing Band later that year.
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
After a two-year hiatus, Lee Presson and the Nails performed a reunion show in San Francisco on 16 September 2006 at the DNA Lounge as part of the inaugural launching of The Hubba Hubba Revue, a San Francisco Burlesque and Variety show. After more shows, Presson moved back to the Bay Area and soon LPN was back in full swing, so to speak.
In 2010, the band released Balls in Your Face, a download-only album of ballroom dance music.
In recent years, the band has found a new audience in the steampunk/dieselpunk community, headlining in 2012 at the Nova Albion Steampunk Exhibition in Santa Clara, CA in 2011, at Her Royal Majesty's Steampunk Symposium at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA from 2012 to 2015, and at Clockwork Alchemy in San Jose, CA from 2013 to 2018. They were also a headlining act at the first Steamstock in Richmond, CA in 2013.
- Jump-Swing from Hell: Live at the Hi-Ball Lounge (1998 - Hep Cat Records)
- Swing is Dead (1999 - Hep Cat Records) (no longer available)
- Playing Dirty: LPN Live at the Derby (2000 - LPN Enterprises)
- El Bando En Fuego! (2002 - LPN Enterprises)
- Balls In Your Face (2010 - LPN Enterprises)
- Vale, V. (1998). Swing! The New Retro Renaissance. San Francisco, California: V/Search Publications. p. 224. ISBN 1-889307-02-5.
- Yanow, Scott (2000). Swing. San Francisco, California: Miller Freeman Books. p. 473. ISBN 0-87930-600-9.
|This article on a United States jazz band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|