LIPU, the Lega italiana protezione uccelli (En. “Italian League for Bird Protection”) is an Italian charitable organisation, founded in 1965 and devoted to the protection of the country’s wildlife with a particular focus on birds. It has a membership of 42,000 and is the Italian partner of Birdlife International.
Its activities fall broadly within four main areas
- Species protection, including action against illegal shooting and trapping of birds
- The conservation and development of habitats important for species conservation
- Environmental education and the raising of public awareness over wildlife and conservation issues
- Lobbying for changes in Italian and EU law—or for the more rigorous application of existing law—related to wildlife protection.
- Official site (in Italian)
- LIPU UK (in English), the British society of LIPU supporters.
- Lega italiana protezione uccelli (in English), the article on LIPU from the Birdlife International website.
|This article about an organisation based in Italy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|