Lehigh Mountain Hawks men's lacrosse
|Lehigh Mountain Hawks men's lacrosse|
|Coach||Kevin Cassese (since 2008)|
|Pre-NCAA Era Champions|
|(10) - 1890, 1893, 1895, 1896, 1897, 1914, 1916, 1917, 1920, 1921|
|NCAA Tournament Appearances|
|Conference Tournament Champions|
|Conference Regular Season Champions|
Early national titles
According to Lehigh's Epitome Yearbook, lacrosse was introduced at Lehigh in 1884 and four years later, Lehigh entered the Inter-collegiate Lacrosse Association, mostly through the efforts of Arnold K. Reese, an 1889 graduate, who captained and trained the team throughout his college career. Lehigh played its first varsity lacrosse game on May 9, 1885 against Stevens Tech.
According to the Lehigh Burr, Lehigh was a top team in the early years of inter-collegiate lacrosse. Lehigh was third in 1888, second in 1889, and was voted the National Champion in 1890. In what was billed as a "Championship Series" that season, Lehigh defeated Princeton, Johns Hopkins and Stevens Tech to win the title.
Since starting lacrosse, the team has amassed a record of 575-669-10.
The coach is currently Kevin Cassese, who is in his seventh year at that position.
Lehigh has made two appearances in the NCAA Tournament, with the first coming in 2012. They earned an automatic bid into the tournament by winning the Patriot League conference tournament over Bucknell, 13–9.
Their first NCAA Tournament game ended in defeat, losing 10–9 against Maryland, after being seeded number seven in the tournament. The Mountain Hawks made the tournament again in 2013, in which they lost to North Carolina.
Annual record men's lacrosse
|Year||Wins||Losses||Percent||Conference||Playoffs||National Rank||RPI||SOS||Power Rating (1)|
|2013||12||5||.710||1st||NCAA 1st Round (2)||10||16||27||18|
|2012||14||3||.820||1st||NCAA 1st Round (3)||4||9||33||9|
- (1) Laxpower Power Rating
- (2) Lost NCAA 1st round 16-7 North Carolina.
- (3) Lost NCAA 1st round 10-9 to Maryland.
- "2012 Quick Facts" (PDF).
- "Men's Lacrosse History".
- "Colgate Wins First-Ever Patriot League Men's Lacrosse Tournament Title With 13-9 Victory Over Bucknell". Patriot League. 27 April 2008.
- "Men's Lacrosse: Notre Dame tops Colgate in overtime to advance to second round". Inside Lacrosse. 11 May 2008. Archived from the original on May 18, 2008. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- "Men's Lacrosse: Colgate Defeats Previously Unbeaten UMass in NCAA First Round". Inside Lacrosse. 12 May 2012. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
|This lacrosse-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sports team in Pennsylvania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|