Leland B. Yeager
|Leland B. Yeager|
Tullock and Yeager
November 4, 1924 |
Oak Park, Illinois
|Field||Monetary policy, international trade|
|Influences||Ludwig von Mises, Murray Rothbard, Friedrich Hayek|
Leland B. Yeager (born November 4, 1924) is an American economist and an expert on monetary policy and international trade. He graduated from Oberlin College in 1948 with an A.B. and was granted an M.A. from Columbia University in 1949 and a Ph.D. from there in 1952. He had previously served in the United States Army in World War II, translating Japanese codes. He temporarily served as the Vice President of the Interlingua Institute from 1997 to 1998 after Deanna Hammond died. He has been a regular contributor to Liberty magazine and an occasional contributor to the "Mises Daily".
He is a Professor Emeritus at both Auburn University and the University of Virginia. His monetary writings have strongly opposed Keynesian orthodoxy and have emphasized the crucial role of money in business cycles. His 1956 essay, "A Cash-Balance Interpretation of Depression" maintained that depression was caused by "an excess demand for money, in the sense that people want to hold more money than exists." In this, he is a member of the monetarist school exemplified by Milton Friedman.
His subsequent writings have tilted towards a laissez-faire approach to monetary reform. In his 1989 paper "Can Monetary Disequilibrium Be Eliminated", he advocates that government "be banished from any role in the monetary system other than that of defining a unit of account or numeraire."
- Foreign Trade and U.S. Policy: The Case for Free International Trade (1976) ISBN 0-275-56270-0
- International Monetary Relations: Theory, History and Policy (1976) ISBN 0-06-047323-1
- Proposals for government credit allocation: Evaluative studies in economic policy (1977) ISBN 0-8447-3281-8
- Experiences With Stopping Inflation (1981) ISBN 0-8447-3439-X
- The Fluttering Veil: Essays on Monetary Disequilibrium (1997) ISBN 0-86597-146-3
- Ethics As Social Science: The Moral Philosophy of Social Cooperation (2001) ISBN 1-84064-521-0
- Is the Market a Test of Truth and Beauty? Essays in Political Economy (Full Text). (2012) ISBN 1279974303
- Cato Institute. "Adjunct Scholar."
- Liberty: Editors & Staff
- Mises Daily author listing, Ludwig von Mises Institute
- Yeager, Leland B. (1956). "A Cash-Balance Interpretation of Depression". Southern Economic Journal 22: 438–47.
- "Can Monetary Disequilibrium Be Eliminated", Cato Journal 9, pp. 405–19, Cato Institute