Jones in concert ⋅
|Origin||New Orleans, Louisiana, United States|
|Years active||1974 - current|
|Associated acts||Danny Barker, Harry Connick, Jr.|
Leroy Jones (b. February 20, 1958) is a jazz trumpeter from New Orleans, Louisiana. Jones began playing trumpet at the age of ten, and by the time he was 12 was leading the Fairview Baptist Church Marching Band, a group of young musicians organized by guitar- and banjo-player Danny Barker. When the musicians' union forced Barker to disband the group in 1974, Jones became a union musician and took over the running of the group, renamed the Hurricane Brass Band, himself. In 1975 or 1976 he left the group, touring for a time with Eddie Vinson and Della Reese before forming his own group, the Leroy Jones Quintet. In 1991 Jones joined the big band of Harry Connick, Jr., and the exposure with Connick's band (including the opportunity for the Leroy Jones Quintet to open for Connick, which they did in 1994), led to Jones' releasing his first album under his own name; Mo' Cream From The Crop came out on the Columbia Records label in 1994. The Leroy Jones Quintet continues to tour and record, and since 2004 Jones has also appeared with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Dr. John.
Discography as bandleader
(A complete discography with others is listed on his website.)
- 1975 - Leroy Jones and his Hurricane Marching Brass Band of New Orleans
- 1994 - Mo' Cream from the Crop
- 1996 - Props for Pops
- 1999 - City of Sounds
- 2002 - Back To My Roots
- 2003 - Wonderful Christmas: A Brass Salute To The King Of Kings
- 2005 - New Orleans Brass Band Music: Memories Of The Fairview & Hurricane Band
- 2007 - Soft Shoe
- 2009 - Sweeter Than A Summer Breeze
- "Leroy Jones of Preservation hall". Preservationhall.com. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
- "Leroy Jones Quintet finds new home at Café Istanbul". Digital Journal.com. Retrieved June 24, 2012.
"Trumpeter Leroy Jones takes New Orleans jazz to the world" - The Advocate http://theadvocate.com/entertainment/6979454-84/trumpeter-leroy-jones-takes-new
"Leroy Jones - Blowing Up A Storm" - OffBeat http://www.offbeat.com/2013/08/01/leroy-jones-blowing-up-storm/
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leroy Jones.|