Lesley Nneka Arimah
Lesley Nneka Arimah
|Notable awards||2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize for Africa|
Lesley Nneka Arimah is a Nigerian writer, and winner of the 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize for Africa. She has twice been shortlisted for the Caine Prize. She has been described as "a skillful storyteller who can render entire relationships with just a few lines of dialogue" and "a new voice with certain staying power."
Arimah was born and grew up in the UK and Nigeria. Her work has been published in The New Yorker and Granta. In 2015, her story "Light" won the 2015 Commonwealth Short Story Prize for Africa. In 2016 and 2017, she was shortlisted for the Caine Prize.
In April 2017, her debut collection of short stories was published by Riverhead Books and Tinder Press (UK). It is titled What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky. It was republished in Nigeria, by Farafina Books, in November 2017. It won the Kirkus Prize for Fiction, the Minnesota Book Award for Fiction and the New York Public Library's Young Lions Fiction Award. In January 2018, it was shortlisted for the 9mobile Prize for Literature.
The book centres "on female protagonists exposed to a cruel world that pushes them to take certain steps to fit in, or make them realize, they just might not fit in," offering "a humanizing portrait of both the Nigerian citizen and first generation young female immigrant", showcasing "their flaws, their desires, their victories, and their attempts at carving out a place in a country whose customs and values diverge from that of their heritage.
The collection "explores women’s dispossession from many angles, including the fraught relationships between mothers and daughters and the complicated dynamics of female friendship." Her writing, The Atlantic says "conveys respect for the people who claw their way through relentlessly difficult lives." NPR calls it "It's a truly wonderful debut by a young author who seems certain to have a very bright literary future ahead of her."
She currently lives in Minnesota, United States.
- What it means when a man falls from the sky, New York: Riverhead, 2017. ISBN 9780735211025, OCLC 998228832
- Thomas Kennedy, Jackie (2017-04-01). "REVIEW: 'What it Means When a Man Falls From the Sky,' by Lesley Nneka Arimah". StarTribune. Retrieved 2017-12-16.
- "WHAT IT MEANS WHEN A MAN FALLS FROM THE SKY by Lesley Nneka Arimah". Kirkus Reviews. 2017-01-23.
- Mogami, Gaamangwe Joy (2017-07-03). "#CainePrize2017 | On Motherhood, Class and Fabulist Fiction | Interview with Lesley Nneka Arimah". Brittle Paper. Retrieved 2017-12-16.
- Hertzel, Laurie (2017-09-25). "Minnesota writer named one of National Book Foundation's 'Five Under 35'". StarTribune. Retrieved 2017-12-16.
- Staff, MPR News. "Minnesota author Lesley Nneka Arimah wins Kirkus Prize for Fiction". Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Novelist Lesley Nneka Arimah, poet Bao Phi, cartoonist Steve Sack win Minnesota Book Awards". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "Two Nigerians, South African vie for 9mobile prize for literature 2018". The Guardian. Nigeria. 2018-02-11. Retrieved 2018-02-13.
- "#LiterallyWhatsHot: 12 Awesome Stories with Beautifully Crafted Narratives is What You Get in Lesley Arimah's 'What It Means when a Man Falls from the Sky'". BellaNaija. Retrieved 2017-12-16.
- "Lesley Nneka Arimah's Characters Muscle Their Way through Girlhood". The Rumpus.net. 2017-03-27. Retrieved 2017-12-16.
- Orr, K. J. (2017-09-02). "What It Means When a Man Falls from the Sky by Lesley Nneka Arimah review – short stories". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2017-12-16.
- Weiss-Meyer, Amy. "The Powerful Pessimism of 'What It Means When a Man Falls From the Sky'". The Atlantic. Retrieved 2017-12-16.
- Schaub, Michael. "'What It Means When A Man Falls From The Sky' Is Defiantly, Electrically Original". NPR.org. Retrieved 2017-12-16.