Leslie Lloyd Rees
|The Rt Revd
Leslie Lloyd Rees
|Bishop of Shrewsbury|
|Diocese||Diocese of Lichfield|
|Other posts||Honorary assistant bishop in Winchester (1987–2004)
Honorary Chaplain to the Queen (1971–1980)
Chaplain-General of Prisons (1962–1980)
|Ordination||c. 1942 (deacon); c. 1943 (priest)|
|Born||April 14, 1919|
|Died||4 July 2013(aged 94)|
|Parents||Rees Thomas & Elizabeth|
|Spouse||Rosamond Smith (m. 1944; d. 1989)|
|Children||2 sons (1 d.)|
|Alma mater||Kelham Theological College|
Leslie Lloyd Rees (properly surnamed Lloyd-Rees, but sometimes called Rees; 14 April 1919 - 4 July 2013) was variously Honorary Chaplain to the Queen, Chaplain-General of Prisons and Anglican Bishop of Shrewsbury.
Rees was educated at Kelham Theological College. Ordained in 1942, after a brief curacy at St Saviour, Roath, he embarked on a long career as a Prison Chaplain. He was successively Chaplain at Cardiff, Durham, Dartmoor and Winchester In 1962 he was appointed to the head of the service, a post he held until his elevation to the Episcopate 18 years later. He was also appointed honorary Canon of Canterbury Cathedral in 1966.
In retirement he was an honorary assistant bishop in the Diocese of Winchester, having settled in Alresford, Hampshire. and served as a member of the Parole Board for England and Wales from 1987 to 1990.
- "Telegraph Announcements - Leslie Rees". Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- The Times, Thursday, Sep 09, 1971; pg. 16; Issue 58272; col A Appointments: new Chaplains to the Queen
- The Times, Wednesday, Jan 30, 1980; pg. 17; Issue 60537; col B Resignation of the Chaplain-General to the Prison Service
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 2008/2009 (100th edition), Church House Publishing (ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0)
- ‘REES, Rt Rev. Leslie Lloyd’, Who's Who 2012, A & C Black, 2012; online edition, Oxford University Press, December 2011 , accessed 6 July 2012
- "Long serving Chaplain General of the Prison Service who used his boxing credentials to good effect to establish a rapport with inmates" Obituaries p47 The Times Issue no 70,934 dated Thursday 11 July 2013
- Parish details
- The Times, Saturday, Aug 09, 1980; pg. 14; Issue 60699; col A Church news New Bishop of Shrewsbury
- "Bishop Leslie dies aged 94.". Shropshire Star. 14 July 2013. p. 5.
- The Independent – Birthdays, 13 April 1996
|Church of England titles|
|Chaplain-General of Prisons
|Bishop of Shrewsbury