Litwin Books, LLC
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Sacramento, California|
|Imprints||Library Juice Press|
Litwin Books, LLC is an academic publisher founded in 2006 under the name Library Juice Press. Library Juice Press became an imprint of the new parent company, Litwin Books, LLC in 2008. The Litwin Books imprint publishes books on archival studies topics, library history, communication studies, and related fields. The Library Juice Press imprint publishes books on library and information science topics, usually with an emphasis on critical theory or political aspects of the field. The company has its origins in an email news and comment distribution service called Library Juice, founded by Rory Litwin in 1998. In 2005, the Library Juice news service became a blog, which now supports the company's publishing projects and other activities. In an interview with Barbara Fister for Inside Higher Education Litwin, interested in the continuity of the knowledge base of librarianship, described the publisher's role as initiating projects and working collaboratively with authors. In 2016, Library Juice Press was awarded the Eli M. Oboler Memorial Award by the Intellectual Freedom Round Table of the American Library Association for its publication, The Library Juice Press Handbook of Intellectual Freedom: Cases, Concepts, and Theories..
Library Juice Academy
In 2012, the company initiated a continuing education venture called Library Juice Academy, which offers online professional development courses for librarians and other people in library and information science fields of work.
Grants and awards
Litwin Books and Library Juice Press give a number of annual grants and awards. Litwin Books gives a $1000 award for Ongoing Doctoral Dissertation Research in the Philosophy of Information. Library Juice Press holds an annual paper contest, also with a $1000 award, honoring a published paper within the publisher's editorial scope that is not primarily an empirical study. Library Juice Academy sponsors the ACRL University Libraries Section Outstanding Professional Award and the Frank B. Sessa Scholarships for Continuing Professional Education of Beta Phi Mu Members. Library Juice Press and Library Juice Academy jointly sponsored the mid-career fellowship awarded by the Digital Library Federation. In 2018 the Alexandre Vattemare Award was established to honor contributions in the LIS field marked by originality, creative energy and novel combinations of ideas. 
Litwin Books sponsors and organizes conferences and colloquia on topics within its scope of interest, including libraries and archives in the anthropocene and gender and sexuality in information studies.
- "Critical Thinking about "Getting Research Published" in College & Research Libraries". College and Research Libraries, vol 76, no. 1 2-5. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Rory Litwin of Library Juice Academy". INALJ blog. 14 March 2014. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- Barbara Fister, "Pressing Issues for Librarians" Inside Higher Education (May 12, 2014). https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/library-babel-fish/rory-litwin-pressing-issues-librarians
- ""The Library Juice Press Handbook of Intellectual Freedom" named 2016 Eli M. Oboler Award winner". American Library Association website. 8 March 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Robert Montoya: Ph.D. Candidate Honored with Litwin Books Award". Ampersand: UCLA Ed and IS Online Magazine. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Library Juice Press Annual Paper Contest -Submission Deadline: August 1, 2016". St. John's University Division of Library and Information Science website. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "ULS Outstanding Professional Development Award". American Library Association website. 30 July 2015. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- "Frank B. Sessa Scholarships for Continuing Professional Education of Beta Phi Mu Members". Beta Phi Mu Honor Society website. Retrieved 2019-04-18.
- "2016 Library Juice + DLF Forum Fellowship". Digital Library Federation website. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- The Alexandre Vattemare Award for Creativity in Libraries. http://libraryjuicepress.com/vattemare.php
- "Colloquia". Library Litwin Books website. Retrieved 2016-12-07.