The user may use a developer tool such as Chrome's Inspect Element, to remove and add the code for it from the DOM.  Adblock Plus as an example, has the ability to block these elements using Element Hiding Helper or manually written rules. 
- Jakob Nielsen, Alertbox. "10 Best Application UIs".
- Dhakar, Lokesh. "Lightbox JS". Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- Herrington, Jack D. "Ajax and XML: Ajax for lightboxes". IBM DeveloperWorks. Retrieved 2008-05-21.
- Schmitt, Christopher (2006). CSS Cookbook. O'Reilly. p. 204. ISBN 0-596-52741-1.
- Dhakar, Lokesh. "Lightbox2". Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- Schmitt, Christopher (2006). CSS Cookbook. O'Reilly. p. 207. ISBN 0-596-52741-1.
- Zervaas, Quentin (2007). Practical Web 2.0 Applications with PHP. Springer. pp. 423. ISBN 1-59059-906-3.
- Nicholas Miller, "Popup Killer: How to Bypass Website Barriers Without Signing Up or Completing Surveys", WonderHowTo, 2014
-  "Element Hiding Helper Companion Extension for Adblock Plus"], Retrieved on 2015-09-23