|Headquarters||New York, New York, United States|
|Products||Leveraged buyout, Growth capital|
|Total assets||$3 billion|
Number of employees
The firm, which is based in New York City, was founded in 2002 with the backing of UBS AG by Donald Marron. Marron is best known for building up PaineWebber over a 23-year career and completing its sale to UBS AG in late 2000 for $10.8 Billion. Marron was also a founder of Data Resources Inc.
The firm has raised approximately $3 billion since inception across its two funds. In May 2002, Lightyear closed on its first fund, The Lightyear Fund, with $750 million of investor commitments, approximately $500 million of which came from UBS AG. In 2006, the firm completed fundraising for its second private equity fund, with $850 million of commitments from over 40 investors.
Among the firm's most notable investments are Collegiate Funding Services (acquired by JPMorgan Chase), ARGUS Software, Higher One, NAU Country Insurance Company (the nation's third largest crop insurer), Antares Holdings, New Flyer Industries, and Goldleaf Financial Solutions (NASDAQ: GFSI).
In 2013, Atlanta, divested its RidgeWorth Investments to Lightyear Capital LLC for up to $265 million.
- Lightyear Fund II closes on $850m. AltAssets, March 6, 2007
- Tennille Tracy (March 5, 2007). "Marron Q&A: The Buzz on Lightyear Capital". The Wall Street Journal.
- Joseph A. Giannone (November 12, 2008). "Lightyear's Marron eyeing banks, insurers". Reuters.
- Pranay Gupte (September 21, 2005). "The Ubiquitous and Indefatigable Donald Marron". The New York Sun.
- "UBS to Buy PaineWebber for $10.8 Billion". ABC News. July 12, 2000.
- Donald Marron. Charlie Rose Interviews
- Forty Institutions Back Lightyear's New $850M Fund. Thomson Buyouts, March 19, 2007
- Lightyear sells shares in Collegiate Funding Services to JPMorgan Chase Bank. AltAssets, December 20, 2005
- Insight and Lightyear Merge Circle Software into Realm Business Solutions. November 29, 2006
- James Comtois (January 6, 2014). "International deals rise in 2013; activity in U.S. falls". Pensions & Investments.
- Lightyear Capital (company website)
|This article about a private equity or venture capital firm based in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|