Linda Calvey (born Linda E P Welford 8 April 1948, Ilford, Essex, England) is an English murderer and armed robber, jailed for killing her lover Ronnie Cook in 1990. She was known as the "Black Widow" because all of her lovers ended up either dead or in prison.
Previous criminal career
Murder of Cook
She paid a hitman, Daniel Reece, £10,000 to kill Cook. However he lost his nerve at the last minute and Calvey picked up the gun herself, shooting the victim at point blank range, whilst he knelt in front of her.
At the time of her release Calvey was Britain's longest serving female prisoner. She spent 18 and a half years in prison for the murder of Cook and had also previously served three and a half years for an earlier robbery.
- "Myra Hindley's Nightie And Rose West's Embroidery: Convicted Murderer Linda Calvey Donates Mementoes To Crime Museum (PICTURES)". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "NATURAL BORN KILLERS: 'She yelled Kneel!... pointed the gun and shot Ronnie in the head' In Part Two of our extracts from author Kate Kray's chilling book, she meets the woman who blasted her lover to death and the man behind a contract killing LINDA CALVEY: THE BLACK WIDOW. - Free Online Library". Thefreelibrary.com. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "'Black Widow' killer weds again | Metro News". Metro.co.uk. 2009-04-05. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- Kray, Kate (2003-08-04). The Black Widow: The Life and Crimes of Linda Calvey - Kate Kray, Chester Stern - Google Books. ISBN 9780755310364. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "Black Widow in freedom bid - News - London Evening Standard". Thisislondon.co.uk. 2003-10-07. Archived from the original on 2012-09-18. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
|This United Kingdom biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|