She has authored and co-authored seven books. Her first book, published in 1989, co-authored with Sandra Harvey was Brothers in Arms about the Milperra massacre. The best-selling book was made into a television mini-series, Bikie Wars: Brothers in Arms produced by Screentime, and screened on Channel 10 in May 2012. The series peaked at 1.43 million viewers and is available on DVD. Her first fiction novel, The Curer of Souls was published in 2006 by Random House. One of her crime books, My Husband My Killer, co-authored with Sandra Harvey was made into a telemovie starring Colin Friels (2000). Her third crime book, co-written with Sandra is about the serial killer John Wayne Glover. Her next book was Honeymoon Dive, co-authored with Jennifer Cooke, and published by Pan MacMillan on September 2010 about the scuba diving death of Tina Watson on the Great Barrier Reef. It was later updated by the authors after Watson's husband Gabe was acquitted in February 2012. Her latest book, launched in August 2014, is 'Where is Daniel"' written with Bruce and Denise Morcombe about the abduction and murder of their son, Daniel.
Simpson was Co-ordinator and founder of the Master of Arts (Writing) and the Bachelor of Multimedia Journalism at James Cook University and founder of the Journalism & Media Studies program and postgraduate writing program at University of Tasmania. She is now working as a full-time writer.
- 2007 Ned Kelly Awards Lifetime Achievement Award (joint winner with Sandra Harvey)
- 2007 Colin Roderick Awards - shortlisted for The Curer of Souls
- The Curer of Souls (Random House, 2006)
- "Where is Daniel?" with Bruce Morcombe and Denise Morcombe (Pan MacMillan, 2014)
- My husband my killer : the murder of Megan Kalajzich co-written with Sandra Harvey (Allen & Unwin, 1992) - telemovie My Husband, My Killer 2000 Screentime
- The Australian Geographic Guide to Tasmania (Australian Geographic, 1997)
- To Have & To Hold co-written with Walter Mikac (Pan MacMillan, 1997)
- The Killer Next Door co-written with Sandra Harvey (Random House, 1994)
- Brothers in Arms co-written with Sandra Harvey (Allen & Unwin, 1986, 2006) - TV mini-series Bikie Wars: Brothers in Arms 2012 Screentime
- Honeymoon Dive co-written with Jennifer Cooke (Pan MacMillan 2010)
- Fatal Honeymoon Dive co-written with Jennifer Cooke (ebook)*
- Random House biography (Retrieved 15 September 2007)
- Dr Lindsay Simpson, Snr Lecturer, Co-ordinator Write in the Tropics postgraduate writing program James Cook University, Department of Humanities[permanent dead link] (Retrieved 15 September 2007)
- 2007 Byron Bay Writers Festival, Festival Writer: Lindsay Simpson (Retrieved 15 September 2007)