|Music by||Brendon Anderegg|
|Edited by||Stephen T. Maing|
|Distributed by||Docurama, Cinedigm|
Lioness is a 2008 documentary film directed by Meg McLagan and Daria Sommers about the first members of Team Lioness. This feature-length documentary tells the story of a group of Army servicewomen who went to Iraq as clerks, mechanics and engineers but ended up fighting alongside the Marines in some of the bloodiest battles of the Iraq war.
Told through intimate accounts, journal excerpts, archival footage, as well as interviews with military commanders, the film follows five women who were part of an unofficial program called "Team Lioness." The women's candid narratives, coupled with scenes from their lives back home, form a portrait of the emotional and psychological effects of war from a female point of view
As the first film to shed light on the hidden narrative of women in combat, Lioness interceded in public dialogues about gender and the military, leading to tangible change in a number of arenas by framing an important but largely invisible issue in meaningful, human terms. The film played an important role in influencing legislation and policy discussions in Congress, the VA, and the Department of Defense and was embraced by a national movement of activists and veteran service organizations working to improve care for the unprecedented influx of women returning from Iraq and Afghanistan into the VA system.
Specialist Shannon Morgan, Rebecca Nava, Kate Guttormsen, Anastasia Breslow, Ranie Ruthig.
- Gary Strauss (2008-11-14). "'Lioness' documentary hunts down women's role in Iraq war". USA Today.
- Katie Herrell (2009-11-05). "Lioness". DVD Verdict.
- "Case Study - Lioness". Center For Media and Social Impact. Retrieved 16 November 2011.
- "Lioness: About the Film". Lioness. Room 11 Productions. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Lee, Felicia. "Battleground: Female Soldiers in the Line of Fire". The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved 28 October 2016.
- Official website
- Scheib, Ronnie. "Review: 'Lioness'". variety.com. Variety. Retrieved 12 May 2008.
- Ellison, Jesse. "PBS Documentary "Lioness" Follows Female Soldiers". newsweek.com. Newsweek. Retrieved 31 Oct 2008.
|This article about a war documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|