Blackwater Valley Opera Festival
The Blackwater Valley Opera Festival (formerly the Lismore Opera Festival and Lismore Music Festival) is a classical music and opera festival held annually in Lismore, County Waterford, Ireland. Founded in 2010 by Jennifer O'Connell and artistic director Dieter Kaegi, the festival was re-launched as the Blackwater Valley Opera Festival in February 2018.
Previous events have consisted of three opera nights performed in Lismore Castle's stable yard. Concerts and recitals have also been staged in Lismore and in historic homes located along the banks of the Blackwater River downstream to the parish of Cappoquin. These venues have included Salterbridge House, Cappoquin House, Tourin House, Dromore Yard and Lismore Cathedral.
Marco Zambelli was the conductor of the festival for several years, except in 2016, when Killian Farrell conducted Così fan tutte, and in 2019 when Darren Hargan conducted Don Pasquale. The 2019 festival presented two operas for the first time, with 15 performances in total across eight venues.
- 2010 Carmen by Georges Bizet
- 2011 Don Giovanni by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- 2012 The Barber of Seville by Gioachino Rossini
- 2013 The Marriage of Figaro by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- 2014 The Magic Flute by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- 2015 La Cenerentola by Gioachino Rossini
- 2016 Così fan tutte by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- 2017 L'elisir d'amore by Gaetano Donizetti
- 2018 L'italiana in Algeri by Gioachino Rossini
- 2019 Don Pasquale by Gaetano Donizetti & The Sleeping Queen by Michael William Balfe
- Neil Fisher (9 June 2017). "L'elisir d'amore at Lismore Castle, Co Waterford". The Times.
- "Festival homepage". blackwatervalleyoperafestival.com. Blackwater Valley Opera Festival. Archived from the original on 26 February 2018. Retrieved 12 January 2019.
Building on the legacy of the Lismore Opera Festival, [the] Box office opens on March 1st 2018 [for] the Blackwater Valley [Festival] May 29th to June 3rd 2018
- Saturday; June 02; Am, 2018-12:00 (2 June 2018). "Review: L'Italiana in Algeri - A spell-binding evening". www.irishexaminer.com. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Mark O'Sullivan (6 June 2012). "The Barber of Seville, Lismore Music Festival". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "The Festival – Venues". blackwatervalleyoperafestival.com. Blackwater Valley Opera Festival. Archived from the original on 15 January 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- Nicki ffrench Davis (1 June 2012). "Schooled in opera". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Opera in the Valley". munster-express.ie. Munster Express Online. Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- "Derry born conductor at Irish Opera Festival". www.derryjournal.com. 21 May 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Dervan, Michael. "Communal virtuosity is abundant in NSO's Strauss performance". The Irish Times. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Dervan, Michael. "Opera in Waterford and an Irish debut: This week's classical music highlights". The Irish Times. Retrieved 3 June 2019.