List of Albuquerque police shootings
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article has no lead section. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Date||Officer name(s)||Victim name(s)||Outcome||Notes||Officer Outcome|
|June 5, 2007||Russell Carter||Jay Martin Murphy||Murphy killed||*barricaded self in home
*Jay Murphy Jr., 19 tried to calm police down
|November 6, 2009||Brandon Carr||Roderick Jones||Jones killed||Carr fired 18 months later|
|January 9, 2010||Andrew Cooke||Aaron Renfro||Renfro killed||*passenger in car stopped for speeding||*Cooke cleared by grand jury|
|January 13, 2010||Brett Lampiris-Tremba||Kenneth Ellis III||Ellis killed||*Ellis holding gun to his own head
*Sean Wallace also present
|*Judge in civil suit ruled Ellis' rights violated|
*Brett Lampiris-Tremba sued for promotion and back pay
|January 29, 2010||Sean Wallace||Wayne Cordova||Cordova killed||*Cordova suspected of fleeing after possibly stealing a car||*Wallace now a K-9 officer who works with SWAT|
*Wallace later shot Alan Gomez;
*the District Attorney ruled this a justifiable homicide
|March 4, 2010||Roger Legendre||Jose Castillo,
|*Castillo charged with assaulting a police officer||*police shot at car after beer shoplifting incident, Giant gas station, Coors and Quail
|Legendre now a sergeant|
|March 29, 2010||Kevin Sanchez||Mickey Owings||Owings killed||*Sanchez shot at moving vehicle in Walmart parking lot, I-40 and Quail
*pregnant female in Owings vehicle unharmed
|*The city's independent review officer ruled the shooting was justified|
*The DoJ used this shooting as an example of "Albuquerque police officers' own recklessness" leading to use of violence
*wrongful death lawsuit filed by Kennedy law firm
|April 14, 2010||Zach Stephenson||Benjamin Marquez||Marquez shot 3-4 times in upper body||*Marquez smoking a cigarette while pumping gas at Broadway and Gibson||Sandy testified at Sandy's trial that he "idolized" Stephenson|
|June 10, 2010||Eric Brown,
Spain and Juan Tabo
|Hinz killed||*Hinz intoxicated at home
*Police said he was firing his weapon inside his home
|*Sedler later shoots Parrish Dennison|
|June 14, 2010||Aaron Zwicky||Julian Calbert||Calbert killed||*Calbert had kidnapped two women
*One called 911
from Calbert's car trunk
|A grand jury found the shooting justified|
|July 27, 2010||Jeremy Hollier,
|Len Fuentes, diagosed schizophrenic, unable to access, treatment||Fuentes killed
3400 block Crest SE
|Hollier arrested in 2012 for felony domestic violence, still with APD|
|August 17, 2010||Josh Brown||Enrique Carrasco||Carrasco shot at Montgomery and San Mateo after slashing his girlfriend's tires||Carrasco jumped on Brown's hood and repeatedly stabbed officer's driver-side window with a knife and broke it, then tried to open the door, said Public Safety Director Darren White|
|September 14, 2010||Leah Kelly||Chandler Barr||Barr hospitalized, survived being shot, 2nd and Central||Police called because Barr was cutting his arm with a "butter knife"
*Kelly smoking a cigar as she pulled trigger
|Barr filed suit for $340,000 in medical bills and pain and suffering A federal jury found no liability.|
|October 19, 2010||Drew Bader,
|Daniel Gonzales||Tucumcari police asked NM State Police for help, State Police call in Albuquerque SWAT||*came to door with two rifles||APD SWAT officers cleared|
|October 31, 2010||David Sprague||Alexei Sinkevitch
6500 block of Tierra Prieta NW
|911 reports of hit-and-runs on Estrella Brillante NW
Callers took plate
Police traced to Sinkevitch
|*Sinkevitch had rifle
*Sinkevitch bled to death on floor of his home
|November 11, 2010||Brian Pitzer, Doug Moore||Russell Tenorio
1400 block Alamo SE
|Tenorio survived, in hospital 2½ months, lost of a kidney.||Tenorio had fetal alcohol symptom, was threatening to hurt himself||*Pitzer announced he was "going lethal" before entering the home|
|February 9, 2011||Byron "Trey" Economidy (Detective)||Jacob Mitschelen||Mitschelen killed||*traffic stop||*Economidy suspended for 4 days for listing his occupation on Facebook as "human waste disposal"|
*wrongful death lawsuit settled for $300,000
|April 12, 2011||Christopher J. Brown||Christopher Torres||Torres shot in his parents' back yard||father says police used a battering ram to enter the house even though he was present and offered to let them in||Jury award over $10 million, later settled for $6 million +|
|May 10, 2011||Sean Wallace||Alan Gomez||*Gomez killed while holding spoon
*wrongful death suit settled in December 2013 for $900,000
|*"the officer shot Gomez without verifying a threat, and after receiving information that Gomez could not have been a threat because he was no longer armed."||*earlier wrongful death suit settled for $235,000|
*Wallace first shot a civilian on September 22, 2004 in Chimayó when he was an NMSP narcotics agent; tort claim notice filed late December 2004
|June 4, 2011||Troy Nikko, William Thomas, Michael Oates||Raymond Garcia||*Garcia killed Lomas and Palomas
*officers pinned his car in near a chainlink fence in front of Cross Country Auto Sales
|*Garcia caught carjacking|
|June 26, 2011||Damian Lujan||Orlando Paisano||Paisano tased, shot eight times, Bell and Dallas SE||Paisano holding bayonet, police say|
|August 30, 2011||Jim Perdue||Michael Marquez||Marquez shot in field, 60th and Central||Michael Marquez an armed robbery suspect||*District Attorney ruled shooting justified|
*First shooting under new system
|January 4, 2012||Mario Perez||Mark Macoldowna,
|Macoldowna killed, Bates and Kellogg arrested||armed robbery of St. Pius X complex|
|March 19, 2012||Martin Smith||Daniel Tillison
Marquette and Texas
|Tillison killed||wrongful death lawsuit alleges Smith PTSD-diagnosed and APD knew it||DA found no probable cause for charges|
|March 21, 2012||Russ Carter||Gary Atencio||Atencio shot on Laguna Pueblo after pursuit||Carter's 3rd shooting||wrongful death lawsuit dismissed|
|April 19, 2012||Mike Hill||Dennis Aragon||Aragon shot three times but was expected to survive||police say Aragon fired shots in the air then pointed rifle at police|
|August 6, 2012||Jason Peck (APD sgt)||Dominick Solis-Mora||Solis-Mora shot in stomach then recovered||Solis-Mora said to sell $240 worth of meth to undercover Peck||DA and APD Internal Affairs clear Peck of wrongdoing|
*Solis-Mara subsequently involved a number of other criminal incidents
|March 5, 2013||Perdue,
Sedler and Aragon
|Parrish Dennison||Dennison killed Menaul and Louisiana||Dennison driver of woman trying to sell stolen banjo||*Sedler had previously shot Chris Hinz|
*Sedler cleared of wrongdoing
|March 19, 2013||APD||Kendall Carroll
13000 block Constitution
|killed by State Police,
APD also fired
|Carroll had previously shot and wounded a police officer|
|July 5, 2013||Jeff Bludworth,
|Vincent Wood||convenience store Montgomery and San Mateo||*previously transported to mental health||*shooting ruled justified|
*Wrongful death lawsuit settled for $55,000
|October 26, 2013||Officer Luke McPeek
|Christopher Chase||Chase killed||Chase had "cop killer" tattooed on his knuckles||award ceremony|
|October 28, 2013||Brian Pitzer||Joaquin Ortega shot Jefferson and Central||Ortega hospitalized then jailed on charges of robbery and carjacking||*Prosecutors found no probable cause to charge Pitzer|
*Pitzer involved in two prior shootings, neither fatal
|November 15, 2013||Peter Romero||Robert Garcia, Sr.||*Garcia shot but survived, received 3-year sentence
*traffic stop, San Mateo
|*Garcia had rifle, had been drinking
*later admitted he had attempted suicide to a cop
|Garcia apologized to Romero|
|December 1, 2013||Luke McPeek,
and Jim Edison
|Shane Sherrill||Sherrill had felony warrants,
holding brake pad
|No charges filed against police|
|December 8, 2013||Hector Marquez,
|Andy Snider||Snider killed||Snider said to charge officers with hammer||Wrongful death lawsuit filed 2015|
*Both officers still on active duty
|January 9, 2014||Russell Carter (Detective)||Jeremy Robertson's tires, Walgreens in Rio Rancho||*Robertson uninjured
*Robertson charged with fleeing, assaulting officer/
|*Robertson wanted for parole violations||*both Sedler and Ornelas on SWAT team|
*Sedler's 2nd shooting, Ornelas' 3rd
|March 16, 2014||Keith Sandy (Detective),
Officer Dominique Perez
|James Boyd||Boyd killed||*camping without a permit
*displaying knife to officers who tried to frisk him
|*Both charged with open count of murder|
|March 25, 2014||James Eichel||Alfred Redwine||Redwine killed||Redwine was upset because he had just lost custody of his 5yo son|
|April 21, 2014||Jeremy Dear||Mary Hawkes||Hawkes killed||Hawkes suspected of having been in a stolen car
*Car's owner later told police Hawkes had dated his room-mate
|*Police claim 5 body cameras malfunctioned|
*Dear fired for repeatedly not turning on his camera, particularly in use of force incidents.
*Dear appeals firing and is reinstated. City appeals his reinstatement.
*Family files wrongful death lawsuit.
|May 3, 2014||Daniel Hughes||Armand Martin||Martin killed in his Ventana Ranch home||Martin suffered from depression, "just went crazy," wife said. Martin ran out of his home while discharging his handgun.||DA and APD Internal Affairs clear Hughes of wrongdoing|
|May 22, 2014||Ryan Graves,
|Ralph Chavez||Chavez killed, 2nd at I-40||*Chavez suspected of rape
*Fuch's camera not on
*Graves' blocked by uniform, but did record audio
*Chavez said to pull knife, advance on officers
|DA declined to press charges|
|January 9, 2015||Greg Brachle||Jacob Grant (APD detective)||*criminal complaint describes meth purchase
*charges against Damian Bailey and Edmond Vester for trafficking cocaine, conspiracy to commit trafficking
|officer's 2nd shooting
*Grant will need medical for the rest of his life,
settled lawsuit for $6.5 million and medical expenses
|*police oversight board recommended firing but Brachle had already retired|
*"APD said since that shooting, the department has improved supervision, training and equipment for undercover officers. In addition, it is now mandatory to attend all briefings before each operation.
|May 29, 2016||(unknown)||Dennis Humphrey||Humphrey shot in his garage
Morningside and Goodrich
|911 call reported he was drunk and walking around outside his house with a rifle|
Other use of force incidents
|Date||Officer name(s)||Citizen name(s)||Outcome||Notes||Officer Outcome|
|January 1, 2012||Aaron Zwicky||Patrick Dennison
Coors and Central
|*fatal car crash
*Zwicky attempting to respond to shots fired in South Valley
|Zwicky previously shot Julian Calbert in 2010|
|February 5, 2015||SWAT||Nicholas Leyba,
|minor injuries, charged with kidnapping, criminal sexual penetration|
|April 7, 2015||SWAT||Dustin Goodwin
|arrested||domestic violence suspect
*tried to prevent girlfriend from leaving
*alcohol, firearms involved
|April 14, 2015||SWAT||Marquette and
|hospitalized with dog bites (Lex)||charged wth domestic violence, burglary while fleeing|
|April 22, 2015||BCSO SWAT||Michael Quevedo,
800 block Dolly
(off La Vega)
|arrested||warrants, domestic violence, felon with firearm||SWAT because "info the detective had and his history"|
|May 10, 2015||SWAT||1800 block
|arrested||15-hour standoff, man hiding in television cabinet||domestic violence|
|October 1, 2015||monitor: officers kneed suspect in head, report does not match video||*"no meaningful followup"|
*officer's supervisor delayed filing a report
|November 10, 2015||SWAT||Bell/Pennsylvania||arrested||search warrant, man refused to leave apartment||felony warrants|
|December 22, 2015||Andrew Quillman, Shawna Romero also present||José Rodriguez,
|killed||attempted carjacking, could not drive shift|
|May 24, 2016||APD and
|Mario Montoya nr
|Montoya's wife arrested for harboring a fugitive||Montoya supposed to be at a halfway house|
|June 19, 2016||SWAT||Lomas/Juan Tabo||arrested||"man was not cooperating with officers' requests to come out of a vehicle"|
|September 30, 2016||Rodney Locke||killed Kay Moss-Freese, woman in wheelchair||Locke quit APD February 2016||Locke arrested|
|October 22, 2016||Michael David Pacheco,
|arrested||shots fired at Walgreens
miss, Pacheco flees;
- "APD KILLS TWO MORE THIS WEEK, LA JICARITA WEIGHS IN". La Jicarita. March 23, 2012.
- Ryan Boetel (November 17, 2014). "Five of 17 officers fired at APD were let go due to use of force violations". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Incident Summaries". APD Under Fire. Albquerque Journal.
- Jeff Proctor (March 12, 2013). "Officer Explains Fatal Shooting". Albuquerque Journal.
- Chris McKee (January 12, 2016). "Controversial Albuquerque police officer sues for promotion, back pay". KRQE.
- Office of the District Attorney. "Officer Involved Shooting Review on DA File 2012-01823-1" (PDF). KUNM.
- Staff (March 4, 2010). "Officer shoots at suspected shoplifters". Albuquerque Journal.
- "Team: R. Legendre". Southeast Area Command, Albuquerque Police.
- Staff (March 30, 2010). "Armed Robbery Suspect Fatally Shot by Albuquerque Police".
- Lysee Mitree (June 5, 2014). "New video of 2010 APD shooting leads to lawsuit". KRQE.
- Mike Springer (June 7, 2014). "Lawsuit filed: against Albuquerque for fatal officer-involved shooting: Money would go to Mickey Owings' 3 children". KOAT.
- "Public Criticizes APD Officer-Involved Shootings". KOAT. June 22, 2010.
- "Police Identify Pedestrian Hit By Officer: APD Officer Involved In 2010 Fatal Shooting". KOAT. January 3, 2012.
- Staff (September 16, 2010). "Updated at 10:00am — Grand Jury Finds Officer-Involved Shooting in June Was Justified: APD Officer Aaron Zwicky cleared in June 15 fatal shooting of Tucumcari man". Albquerque Journal.
- Marisa DeMarco. "The APD Files: Len Fuentes And Mental Health". Public Health New Mexico. KUNM.
- Staff (June 27, 2010). "Police Identify Man Killed by Officer". Albuquerque Journal.
- Albuquerque Journal. 911 Call - APD Officer Arrested for Domestic Violence – via YouTube.
- Scott Sandlin (October 29, 2014). "Trial over APD shooting opens in federal court". Albuquerque Journal.
- Scott Sandlin (November 1, 2014). "Jury clears APD officer of liability in shooting". Albuquerque Journal.
- Rozanna M. Martinez (October 20, 2010). "APD Involved in Fatal Shooting in Tucumcari". Albuquerque Journal.
- Staff (February 22, 2011). "Fatal shooting of 56-year-old after six-hour standoff in Tucumcari last October found justifiable". Albquerque Journal.
- "The Clock in Albuquerque Strikes Midnight". Frontera NorteSur: Online news coverage of the US-Mexico border. New Mexico State University. May 6, 2014.
- Jeff Proctor (December 17, 2012). "Shooting Of Mentally Disabled Man Spurs Lawsuit". Albuquerque Journal.
- Scott Sandlin (October 13, 2015). "Jury to decide case of man shot by cop".
- Nick Pinto (January 29, 2015). "When Cops Break Bad: Inside a Police Force Gone Wild: Over the past five years, police in Albuquerque have shot and killed 28 people". Rolling Stone.
- David Correia (November 23, 2011). "The Return of the Albuquerque Death Squads". Counterpunch.
- Samuel Gilbert; Andy Beale (April 28, 2016). "Albuquerque PD: a case study of police brutality: Will Department of Justice reforms change a culture of violence in the New Mexico police department?". Al Jazeera.
They had already shot him, killed him and removed him from the scene, he continues. I offered to let them in the house … but they wanted to use their toys."Torres believes that the ensuing "circus" was simply a way to cover up their mistake. "I think what they were doing was hoping to find drugs or contraband, something to justify what they had done," he says
- "Albuquerque ordered to pay $6m over man's wrongful killing by police". Guardian. AP. June 10, 2014 – via Guardian.
- Jeff Proctor (December 23, 2011). "Lawsuit Targets APD Hiring". Albuquerque Journal.
- Rosalie Rayburn. "Family sues 5 APD officers, says civil rights violated". Albuquerque Journal.
- "Re: Albquerque Police Department" (PDF). April 10, 2014.
- Staff (January 4, 2005). "State Police Officer ID'd In Chimayo Man's Death". KOAT.
- Astrid Galvan (February 17, 2012). "3 Officers Cleared in Killing of Carjack Suspect". Albuquerque Journal.
- Megan Cruz (January 16, 2015). "APD identifies officers in San Mateo shooting".
- Jeff Proctor; Dan McKay (June 7, 2011). "Man Shot by Police Had Criminal History". Albuquerque Journal.
- Anna Velasquez (April 9, 2014). "Albuquerque police shoot man wielding rifle". KOAT.
- Pat Lohmann (March 27, 2013). "APD officer cleared in fatal shooting". Albuquerque Journal.
- "3rd Arrest Made In Officer-Involved Shooting: James Kellogg Faces Armed Robbery, Kidnapping Charges". January 6, 2012.
- Marisa Demarco (March 9, 2015). "The APD Files: Officer Mental Health And Daniel Tillison". Public Health New Mexico. KUNM Mental Health.
- Jeff Proctor (May 8, 2013). "Another APD shooting ruled lawful; BernCo DA won't seek charges".
- "ATENCIO v. CITY OF ALBUQUERQUE". US District Court. October 7, 2015.
- Liz McKernan. "Man shot by police has criminal history". KOAT.
- Nicole Perez (September 27, 2014). "DA: No charges for SWAT team officer". Albuquerque Journal.
- Mike Springer (July 25, 2014). "Cops in latest APD shooting have fired fatal shots before: Pair not included in DoJ report". KOAT.
- Nicole Perez (September 26, 2014). "APD SWAT officer cleared in 2013 shooting". Albuquerque Journal.
- Patrick Lohmann; Jeff Proctor (March 20, 2013). "New details in yesterday's SWAT standoff, police shooting".
- Gabrielle Burkhart (July 22, 2016). "Albuquerque Police Union insulted over settlements in justified shootings". KRQE.
- Patrick Lohman (February 5, 2014). "Car chase suspect was shot 8 times".
- "Chase, Chilling Shootout Caught on Police Video". ABC NEWS. February 6, 2014 – via Good Morning America.
- Kayla Ayres (July 18, 2014). "Police honored for stopping October shooting rampage". KRQE.
- Patrick Lohmann (November 8, 2013). "APD chief: Carjacking suspect didn't point gun at officer". Albuquerque Journal.
- "Officer not charged in Albuquerque police shooting". KRQE. August 17, 2016.
- Patrick Lohmann (October 31, 2013). "Monday night shooting is officer's third". Albuqerque Journal.
- "No charges for 3 Albuquerque officers in 2013 shooting". AP. July 16, 2016.
- Nicole Perez (Dec 12, 2013). "APD: Man killed in officer-involved shooting had a hammer". Albuquerque Journal.
- Gabrielle Burkhart (April 8, 2015). "Lawsuit filed in police killing of man with hammer". KRQE.
- Patrick Lohmann (January 11, 2014). "Officer in shooting had killed suspect in 2012". Albuquerque Journal.
- Ryan Boetel (June 23, 2016). "Family's lawsuit reveals more details in Hawkes shooting". Albuquerque Journal.
- Tim Cushing (June 26, 2018). "Another Police Accountability Miracle: Five Officers, Zero Body Cam Footage, One Dead Body". Techdirt.
- David Kravets (November 13, 2015). "Cop—fired for having lapel cam turned off a lot—reinstated to force: Officer said cam accidentally unplugged from battery before fatal shooting of a teen". Ars Technica.
- Blair Miller; Chris Ramirez (March 1, 2016). "Estate of Mary Hawkes files civil lawsuit against city of Albuquerque". KOB.
"It is clear, undisputed, material fact that she was running away from Officer Dear when he shot her and she was collapsing to the ground when he fatally shot her," said attorney Shannon Kennedy.The suit also goes on to say that at some point after Dear was reassigned to different duties, he allegedly told a man the reason he was on that detail was because he shot that "f---ing b----" – referring to Hawkes.
- Staff (March 15, 2013). "Albuquerque police release video of May 2014 officer involved shooting". KRQE.
- Russell Contreras (May 7, 2014). "New Albuquerque police shooting exposes distrust". AP.
- Writer, Ryan Boetel | Journal Staff. "Updated: APD sniper cleared in SWAT shooting". www.abqjournal.com. Retrieved 2017-10-19.
- Nicole Perez (May 6, 2016). "DA clears 2 APD officers in 2014 shooting". Albuquerque Journal.
- Joline Gutierrez Krueger (April 8, 2016). "APD cop had fired weapon before". Albuquerque Journal.
- Jeff Proctor (January 10, 2015). "Low-level drug operation led to one APD officer shooting another". KRQE.
- Chelo Rivera; Lysee Mitri (March 31, 2016). "Police release lapel, surveillance video from blue-on-blue shooting". KRQE. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Justin Cox; Candace Hopkins (May 29, 2016). "APD investigating officer involved shooting that left one dead". KRQE.
- Tom O'Connell (June 1, 2016). "Killed by APD, and Now the Wait for Answers". Burque Media.
- Robert Browman; Elise Kaplan (April 7, 2015). "Alleged domestic violence suspect in custody after NE ABQ SWAT standoff". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Robert Browman (April 14, 2015). "Police arrest domestic violence suspect after search". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Robert Browman; Elise Kaplan (April 22, 2015). "Man in custody after South Valley SWAT standoff". Albuquerque Journal.
- Megan Cruz (September 16, 2016). "Independent monitor slams Albuquerque police in special report: Report centered on use of force incident from 2015". KOAT. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- MARY HUDETZ (July 1, 2016). "Report: Albuquerque police failed in use-of-force reviews: A federal monitor says the Albuquerque Police Department has struggled to adequately review use-of-force cases, while the SWAT units are doing a better job of de-escalating stand-offs and other high-stress situations". US News and World Report. Associated Press. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Candace Hopkins; Lysee Mitri (December 31, 2015). "Albuquerque police releases lapel video in deadly officer-involved shooting". KRQE. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Albuquerque police ID carjacking suspect killed by officers". KRQE. Associated Press. December 23, 2015. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Chelo Riovera; Gabrielle Burkhart (December 22, 2015). "Albuquerque Police: Suspect killed after attempted car-jacking". KRQE. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Angela Ollison (May 24, 2016). "Arrest made, suspect dead in officer-involved shooting in southeast Albuquerque". KRQE. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- Maggie Shepard (June 19, 2016). "APD: SWAT team takes suspect into custody in NE ABQ". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Ex-Albuquerque policeman accused of leaving scene of a crash". KRQE. Associated Press. September 30, 2016. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- Soyoung Kim (October 23, 2016). "Police investigating after Albuquerque officer fired at suspect". KRQE. Retrieved November 11, 2016.