List of Jewish American composers
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This is a list of Jewish American composers. For listings of Jewish American songwriters, musicals writers, and film composers, see List of Jewish American musicians, which shares some names with this list. For other famous Jewish Americans, see List of Jewish Americans.
- Larry Adler, composer 
- Samuel Adler (1928- ), American (German-born) composer
- Milton Babbitt (1916-2011), composer 
- Irving Berlin (1888-1989), composer and lyricist
- Elmer Bernstein (1922-2004), composer
- Leonard Bernstein (1918-1990), composer and conductor
- Aaron Copland (1900-1990), composer and conductor
- Bob Dylan (1941-), songwriter and lyricist, né Robert Zimmerman
- Morton Feldman (1926-1987), composer
- George Gershwin (1898-1937), composer and songwriter
- Philip Glass (1937-)
- Yossi Green (1955-), Hasidic Jewish composer of contemporary Jewish religious music
- Jerome Kern (1885-1945), composer and songwriter
- Fritz Kreisler (1875-1962), violinist and composer, one of the most famous of his day
- Hank Levy (1927-2001), jazz composer and saxophonist, composer of "Whiplash", which was featured in the 2014 film of the same name
- Alan Menken (1949-), composer
- Leo Ornstein (1893-2002), modernist composer and pianist, Russian-born
- Lou Reed (1942-2013), songwriter, composer and guitarist, a member of the Velvet Underground
- Steve Reich (1937-), composer
- Arnold Schoenberg (1874-1951), naturalized American, Austrian-born composer
- Stephen Schwartz (1948-), composer and lyricist
- Nicolas Slonimsky (1894-1995), naturalized American, Russian-born composer, conductor and author
- Stephen Sondheim (1930-), composer and lyricist
- Morton Subotnick (1933-), composer of electronic and other music, husband to Joan LaBarbara
- Kurt Weill (1900-1950), naturalized American, German-born composer and songwriter, who wrote orchestral music and "show music"
- John Zorn (1953-), composer and saxophonist
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- JINFO (1994-11-04). "Jewish Songwriters and Composers". Jinfo.org. Retrieved 2013-12-09.
- Alan Rich, American Pioneers: Ives to Cage and Beyond (1995)
- Nicolas Slonismky, Music Since 1900, 5th edition, Schirmer Books (1994)
- Kyle Gann, American Music in the 20th Century (1997)
- Alex Ross, The Rest is Noise: Listening to the 20th Century
- Bleich, Chananya. "A Time to Sing: Well-known Chasidic musicians share some of the high points of their careers". Ami, November 27, 2013, p. 138.
-  Archived October 18, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- Ronald Sanders, The Days Grow Short: The Life and Music of Kurt Weill (1980)