Llana of Gathol
Dust-jacket of Llana of Gathol
|Author||Edgar Rice Burroughs|
|Publisher||Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Preceded by||Synthetic Men of Mars|
|Followed by||John Carter of Mars|
Llana of Gathol is a collection of four Edgar Rice Burroughs stories that were originally published in Amazing Stories in 1941 (details see below). The first collected edition of Llana of Gathol was published in 1948. It is the penultimate book in the Barsoom series and the last to be published during Burroughs's lifetime.
The stories in Llana of Gathol have a somewhat more humorous tone than earlier entries of the Barsoom series, and this book is considered to be an example of Burroughs engaging in self-parody late in his career.
- "The Ancient Dead", originally "The City of Mummies"
- "The Black Pirates of Barsoom", originally "Black Pirates of Barsoom"
- "Escape on Mars", originally "Yellow Men of Mars"
- "Invisible Men of Mars"
Plot and storyline
The stories in this collection revolve around John Carter's granddaughter Llana of Gathol, who plays the "damsel in distress" role played by Dejah Thoris and Thuvia in earlier entries of the Barsoom series.
- ERBzine C.H.A.S.E.R ENCYCLOPEDIA entry for Llana of Gathol
- Zip file Text file at Project Gutenberg Australia
- Edgar Rice Burroughs Summary Project page for Llana of Gathol