Lluvia de Peces
Beginning in 1998, locals of Honduras have held an annual Festival de Lluvia de Peces to celebrate the phenomenon. The date of the festival is variable, coinciding with the first major rainfall in May or June. The festival includes a parade and carnival.
The explanation generally offered for the rain of fish is meteorological, often speculated to be strong winds or waterspouts, as is commonly proposed when attempting to explain similar occurrences of raining animals. The nearest marine source for the fish is the Atlantic Ocean, about 200 km (140 miles) away, though this explanation might be seen as unlikely due to the improbability of waterspouts collecting fish in the open sea every year in May or June and transporting them directly to Yoro.
Alternatively, the fish may have originated in fresh water and moved from a nearby river into a subterranean water current or cave system in response to seasonal changes. Subsequent heavy rains wash the fish up out of this habitat and the water recedes to leave the fish stranded.
Father Subirana miracle
Spanish priest Father José Manuel (Jesus de) Subirana was a figure in the history of Christianity in Honduras. He arrived in Honduras in 1855 and worked here until his death in 1864. Today the name of Father Subirana is linked with the legend of Yoro fish rain. The legend tells the following: "Father Subirana saw how poor are the people in Honduras and prayed 3 days and 3 nights asking God for miracle to help the poor people and to provide them food. After these three days and nights God took note on this and there came a dark cloud. Lots of tasty fish rained from the sky, feeding all the people. Since then this wonder is repeated every year." .
- J. Efraín Castellanos García. Atlas geográfico de Honduras. Corporación Editora Nacional, Servicopiax Editores.
- Noé Pineda Portillo. Geografía de Honduras. M.D.C.
- Arnoldo Argüello Gil. Geografía de Centro América. Impreso en la Editorial Recalde.
- Benchwick, Greg (2010). Honduras & the Bay Islands. (2nd ed.). Footscray, Vic.: Lonely Planet. pp. 98–99. ISBN 1741048869.
- Francisco Antonio Rizzuto, Veritas argentina: Volume 15
- Campos, Orsy. "Un pueblo en fiesta" (in Spanish). Revista Hablemos. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- "Lluvia de peces". Atlas Obscura. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- "Lluvia de peces en poblacion hondurena". El Universo. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- "Yoro Fish Rain". Wondermondo. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Campos Rivas, Orsy. "Lo que la lluvia regala a Yoro" (in Spanish). Revista Hablemos. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
-  (LA PRENSA, HONDURAS. MAY/2014)
- Rafael Heliodoro Valle, Lluvia de peces en Yoro, Departamento Editorial de la Dirección General de Cultura, Secretaría de Cultura y Turismo de Honduras, 1980