This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||1980 (as the Satellite Movie Company)|
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, CA, USA|
Number of employees
SONIFI Solutions, Inc. ("SONIFI") is an interactive content and connectivity solutions[clarification needed] provider. The company serves approximately 1.4 million hotel rooms worldwide in addition to healthcare facilities throughout the United States with core services that include interactive television, broadband, connectivity, and advertising media solutions along with nationwide technical and professional support services.
The company's corporate headquarters are in Los Angeles, California and the primary operations center is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The company also maintains offices in Silicon Valley as well as offices in Canada and Mexico and a network of field service facilities serving the company’s customers throughout the United States and Canada. SONIFI's primary customer base is in the continental United States, and they also deliver services in Canada, Mexico and 15 other countries through relationships with local licensees. SONIFI has had a long-standing partnership with Nintendo, and has brought Nintendo console titles to hotel rooms since the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
SONIFI Solutions was founded in 1980 as Satellite Movie Company. The company was renamed LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation in 1991 and became a publicly traded corporation in 1993. LodgeNet purchased The Hotel Networks, On Command, and Stay Online corporations in 2006 and 2007, and changed its name to LodgeNet Interactive Corporation in 2008.
In late 1993, LodgeNet launched its on-demand hospitality service, including worldwide delivery of Super NES games to hotel guests via its proprietary building-wide networks. LodgeNet eventually reported the system being installed in 200,000 hotel guest rooms by April 1996, and 530,000 guest rooms by mid-1999. By April 1996, LodgeNet reported that its partnership with Nintendo to deliver Super NES games had yielded 200,000 worldwide hotel guest room installations. On June 16, 1998, Nintendo and LodgeNet entered a 10-year licensing agreement for an "aggressive" upgrade to add Nintendo 64 support to their existing 500,000 Super NES equipped guest room installations. LodgeNet says that within the system's previous five years to date, the system had "caused Nintendo to become the most successful new product rollout in the history of the hotel pay-per-view industry". LodgeNet reported that within the middle of 1998 alone, 35 million hotel guests encountered the Nintendo name as an integral amenity, and it reported sales of more than 54 million minutes of Nintendo-based gameplay.
On June 10, 1999, LodgeNet and Nintendo began expanding and upgrading their existing Super NES buildout to include Nintendo 64 support. In mid-1999, LodgeNet reported that its 530,000 hotel room installations were increasing at a rate of 11,000 rooms per month. In September 2000, Nintendo and LodgeNet began delivering newly released Nintendo 64 games to hotel rooms at more than 1,000 hotel sites, concurrently with the games' retail releases, demonstrating "the capacity to update [LodgeNet's] interactive digital systems with fresh content virtually overnight".
On December 31, 2012 LodgeNet announced its intention to file for a prepackaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy as part of a recapitalization that would give control of the company to Colony Capital, a global investment firm with $38 billion in assets under management and a broad range of hospitality and media industry investments. The commencement of these proceedings was announced on January 28, 2013. During this period the company also announced that Colony had signed a memorandum of understanding with DIRECTV under which LodgeNet and DIRECTV would operate as strategic partners within the hospitality and healthcare markets. The agreement extended the parties' current free-to-guest programming agreement to include DIRECTV branding, programming and content, advertising and other operational support.
On March 28, 2013 Colony announced that it had completed the acquisition, concurrent with an approximately $70 million recapitalization of the company and a new $358 million long term credit facility. The investor syndicate led by Colony was issued new common stock representing 100% ownership of the company. This completed the company's emergence from Chapter 11. In the same announcement, hospitality industry veteran Mike Ribero was named the company's new CEO. Tom Storey is the President, Hospitality and Ed Kaufman is General Counsel, and Lourie Zak is the Chief Financial Officer completing the current executive management team.
The company officially became SONIFI Solutions on June 25, 2013 with an announcement at the HITEC trade show.
Games are offered for multiple Nintendo platforms: Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and Nintendo GameCube with support for the Nintendo Entertainment System planned.
- "Hotel-based video game and communication system". Google Patents. Nintendo of America, Inc. December 3, 1996. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation - Company Profile, Information, Business Description, History, Background Information on LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "LodgeNet, Nintendo Sign N64 Agreement" (Press release). Sioux Falls, ND: LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation. PRNewswire. June 16, 1998. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "LodgeNet, Nintendo Celebrate Guest Room Video Game Milestone" (Press release). Sioux Falls, ND: LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation. PRNewswire. September 3, 1998. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "LodgeNet Begins Installing Hotels With Nintendo 64 Game Systems; Initiative Includes New Installations, System Upgrades for Thousands of Hotel Rooms" (Press release). Sioux Falls, ND: LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation. PRNewswire. June 10, 1999. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "LodgeNet Brings Mario Tennis(TM) to Hotel Guests Nationwide; New N64(R) Game Will Appear in Stores, Hotel Rooms Same Week" (Press release). Sioux Falls, ND: LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation. PRNewswire. August 29, 2000. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- Warner, Melodie (2012-12-31). "LodgeNet Files for Chapter 11; Colony Capital Invests $60 Million for Control". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2 January 2013.