|Known for||Venus exploration|
|Education||PhD in environmental science; BS & MS in physics|
|Alma mater||Lancaster University; University of Texas at Arlington|
Lori Glaze is a scientist and Director of NASA's Science Mission Directorate's Planetary Science Division. Glaze was a member of the Inner Planets Panel during the most recent Planetary Science Decadal Survey, and has had a role on the Executive Committee of NASA's Venus Exploration Analysis Group (VEXAG) for several years, serving as the group's Chair since 2013.
She has been involved with many NASA-sponsored Venus mission concept formulation studies, including as a member of the Venus Flagship Science and Technology Definition Team (2009), as Science Champion for the Venus Mobile Explorer (2010), and Co-Science Champion for the Venus Intrepid Tessera Lander (2010).
Glaze has been an advocate for women in science and for the importance of understanding Venus in our quest to better understand Earth. Glaze has more than 15 years of scientific management experience, including over ten years as the Vice President of Proxemy Research, Inc. She also spent three years as Associate Laboratory Chief and three years as Deputy Director in the Solar System Exploration Division at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center.
Glaze was the Principal Investigator for a proposed NASA Discovery mission to Venus, Deep Atmosphere Venus Investigation of Noble gases, Chemistry, and Imaging (DAVINCI). This mission would send a probe on a journey through Venus' atmosphere, descending over the planet's roughest and most geologically complex terrain. The DAVINCI probe would explore the planet's atmosphere from top to bottom, including the deep atmospheric layers largely hidden from Earth-based instruments and orbiting spacecraft. DAVINCI would be the first U.S. probe in nearly four decades to target Venus' atmosphere.
Professional achievements and awards
- 2013 to Present: Chair, Venus Exploration Analysis Group (VEXAG)
- 2013 to Present: Member, Planetary Science Subcommittee of the NASA Advisory Council
- 2009 to 2010: Special Act Award for Leadership (Science Champion) of two Planetary Decadal Mission Concept Studies (Venus Mobile Explorer, Venus Intrepid Tessera Lander)
- 2009 to 2010: Member of National Academy of Science Decadal Survey, Inner Planets Panel
- 2009 to 2013: Venus Exploration Analysis Group (VEXAG) Steering Committee Member
- 2008 to 2009: Member of NASA's Venus Flagship Science and Technology Development Team
- 2007 to 2012: Associate Editor for the Journal of Geophysical Research, Solid Earth
- "Singer, guitarist Terry Glaze still rocking after Pantera". 18 February 2010. Retrieved 10 October 2018 – via www.washingtonpost.com.
- "NASA Announces New Chief Scientist". Solar System Exploration Feature. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "Lori Glaze". NASA Science Leadership. Retrieved 2019-07-17.
- "Dr. Lori Glaze: It's the science that gets me up in the morning!". Women in Planetary Science: Female Scientists on Careers, Research, Space Science, and Work/Life Balance. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
- "#Revealed: how hot-as-Hades Venus might help the hunt for ET#". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
- "Venus and Us: Two Stories of Climate Change". Transistor. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
- "DAVINCI: Deep atmosphere venus investigation of noble gases, chemistry, and imaging - IEEE Conference Publication". ieeexplore.ieee.org. Retrieved 2018-10-13.