Published in May 2007, the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan is a plan set to guide the state of Louisiana and its citizens on a "bold new course" through the state's recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and "into a safer, stronger, smarter future."
In the wake of the destruction caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the Louisiana Speaks initiative works toward the development of a sustainable, long-term vision for South Louisiana. This initiative included the creation and promotion of the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan, first published in May 2007. The plan represents 18 months of work facilitated by some of the top planners in Louisiana and the United States, built upon and validated by the voices of 27,000 Louisianans. The plan combined the efforts of local, state and federal partners along with many experts, stakeholders and citizens into a comprehensive approach in order to guide recovery and growth in the state of Louisiana over the next 50 years. The Regional Plan includes more than 100 action items, supporting three broad goals: Recover Sustainably, Grow Smarter, and Think Regionally.
Louisiana Speaks,the a long-term planning initiative behind the Regional Plan,was funded by private donations to the LRA Support Foundation, created by the Baton Rouge Area Foundation. The Center for Planning Excellence (CPEX), a non-profit planning organization, managed the creation of the plan in cooperation with the Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA).
The Louisiana Speaks process included:
- Planning for individual homeowners and businesses through the development of a Pattern Book for residential and commercial architecture, and development of a guide to planning, the Toolkit, which is led by Urban Design Associates;
- Planning for neighborhoods through local design charrettes, which were led by Duany Plater-Zyberk & Company;
- Parish-level planning supported by Long-Term Community Recovery Teams, which were coordinated through the LRA and the US Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA);
- And long term 25-50 year regional plan for South Louisiana led by Calthorpe Associates.
- "Smarth Growth Resource Library: Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan". Smart Growth Online. Retrieved 2007-10-01. External link in