Greek: Λούκα Κατσέλη
|President of Social Agreement|
14 March 2012
|Minister for Labour and Social Security|
7 September 2010 – 17 June 2011
|Prime Minister||George Papandreou|
|Preceded by||Andreas Loverdos|
|Succeeded by||Giorgos Koutroumanis|
|Minister for the Economy, Competitiveness and Shipping|
7 October 2009 – 7 September 2010
|Prime Minister||George Papandreou|
|Preceded by||Yannis Papathanasiou|
|Succeeded by||Michalis Chrysohoidis|
|Political party||KOISY (since 2012)
PASOK (until 2011)
|Alma mater||Smith College|
Louka Katseli (Greek: Λούκα Κατσέλη, pronounced [ˈluka kaˈtseli], born 20 April 1952, Athens) is a Greek economist and politician. She is a former Minister for the Economy, Competitiveness and Shipping and a former Minister for Labour and Social Security. On 23 March 2015 she was elected as the new non-executive Chair of the Board in the National Bank of Greece.
Early life and education
Louka Katseli is the daughter of Aleka Katseli, a Greek actress.
Louka Katseli graduated from the Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts, in 1972, with a B.A. in Economics. In 1972, she entered the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs of Princeton University, in Princeton, New Jersey and in 1974 she graduated with the degree of Master of Public Administration. She continued her studies at Princeton University obtaining a Masters of Arts degree in Economics in 1975 and a Ph.D. in Economics in January 1978.
Louka Katseli was Director General on the Center of Planning and Economic Research (KEPE) in Athens from 1982 until 1986, and served as Special Economic Advisor to Andreas Papandreou, the Prime Minister of Greece, from October 1993 until January 1996.
From 2003 to 2007, Louka Katseli was the director on the OECD Development Centre in France. She was a Professor of Economics in the Department of Economics of the University of Athens, a member of the Executive Committee of the E.A.D.I. since 2005, a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of German Institute for Economic Research in Berlin, Germany, a member of the Athens Development and Governance Institute and a member of the Euro 50 group.
Prior to her first cabinet appointment, Louka Katseli had been the spokesperson for Economics for the Panhellenic Socialist Movement (PASOK).
When George Papandreou's socialist government took office in October 2009, Louka Katseli was appointed Minister for the Economy, Competitiveness and Shipping. She drafted a tax-and-spend economic plan for George Papandreou during his campaign that contributed to his popularity Then, following a cabinet reshuffle in September 2010, she was appointed Minister for Labour and Social Security,
On 20 October 2011, Katseli was expelled from the ruling PASOK by Papandreou after she fulfilled a pledge and voted against a single article calling for the liberalisation of labour regulations, in a tight, heavily protested vote for an austerity program bill. Following a vote of confidence in which she supported Prime Minister George Papandreou she was brought back into the party fold.
Katseli was expelled from the PASOK parliamentary group again, after voting against Greece's loan deal with its foreign creditors. On 14 March 2012 she formed the new Social Agreement party, together with Haris Kastanidis. She strongly opposed Europe's bailout policy that gave the right to Greece's lenders to seize the gold reserves in the Bank of Greece, and the fact that future Greek bonds will be managed according to English law.
- Sidney Cohen Prize for Economics, Smith College, 1971
- Concilium Faculty Research Award, Summer 1979
- Transmission of External Price Disturbances in Small Open Economies, Ph.D. dissertation published by Garland Press in their series of Outstanding Dissertations in Economics, 1979
- Foreign Investment and Trade Linkages in Developing Countries, United Nations, ST/CTC/154, Sales No. E.93. II. A.12, April 1993
- Macroeconomic Analysis and the Greek Economy (with X. Magoula), Typothito-Dardanos, 2002 (in Greek)
- «Nominal Tax Rates and the Effectiveness of Fiscal Policy». National Tax Journal, March 1979
- «The Reemergence of Purchasing Power Parity in the 1970s», Special Paper in International Finance #13, International Finance Section, Princeton University, December 1979
- «Income Instability, Terms of Trade and the Choice of Exchange-Rate Regime» with William H. Branson) Journal of Development Economics, 7, March, 1980, 49 -69
- «The Impact of Greece’s Entry in the EEC on Greek-American Relations», in T. Couloumbis and J. Iatrides (eds.) Greek-American Relations, Pella, 1980.
- «Transmission of External Price Disturbances and the Composition of Trade», Journal of International Economics, August, 1980
- «Exchange Rate Policy in Less Developed Countries», (with William H. Branson) in S. Grassman and Lundberg (eds.), The World Economic Order: Past and Prospects, Macmillan Press, 1981
- «Currency Baskets and Real Effective Exchange Rates», (with William H. Branson) in Mark Gersovitz et al. (eds.), The Theory and Experience of Economic Development; Essays in Honor of Sir W. Arthur Lewis, George Allen and Unwin Ltd., 1982.
- «Adjustment to Variations in Prices of Imported Inputs: The Role of Economic Structure» (with Nancy P. Marion), Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv. Band 118, Heft 1. 1982; also NBER Working Paper # 360, August 1980
- «Macroeconomic Adjustment and Exchange-Rate Policy in Middle-Income Countries: Greece, Portugal and Spain in the 1970s», in Marcello De Cecco (eds.) International Economic Adjustment: Small Countries and the European Economic System, Blackwell, 1983.
- «Exchange Rates and Food in the European Community», European Economic Review, 1983, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2; also Economic Growth Center Discussion Paper # 387, September, 1981
- «Devaluation: A Critical Appraisal of IMF’s Policy Prescriptions», AER: Papers and Proceedings, May 1983 (also reprinted in the BOLETIN, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, Vol. 31, No. 4, July–August 1985)
- «Real Exchange Rates in the 1970s» in John Bilson and Richard Marston (eds.), Exchange Rate Theory and Practices, University of Chicago Press, August 1984 and Economic Growth Center Discussion Paper #403, May 1982
- «Discrete Devaluation as a Signal to Price Setters: Suggested Evidence from Greece» in L. Ahamed and S. Edwards (eds.) Structural Adjustment and Exchange Rate Policy, University of Chicago Press, 1986; also NBER Working paper #1529
- «Building a Process of Democratic Planning» in T. Tzannatos (ed.), Socialism in Greece: The First Four Years, Gower, Aldershot, England, April 1986
- «Flexible Exchange Rates and their Implications for International Economic Cooperation» in M. Szabo-Pelsoczi (ed.), The Future of the International Monetary System, Institute for World Economics, Budapest, 1986
- «On the Effectiveness of Discrete Devaluation in Balance of Payments Adjustment» in R.C. Marston (ed.), Misalignment of Exchange Rates: Effects on Trade and Industry, University of Chicago Press, 1989
- «Theoretical and Empirical Determinants of International Labour Mobility: A Greek-German Perspective» (with Nicholas P. Glytsos) in I. Gordon and P Thirlwall (eds.), European Factor Mobility: Trends and Consequences, The MacMillan Press Ltd, 1989
- «The Political Economy of Macroeconomic Policy in Europe», in Guerrieri, P. and P.C Padoan (eds.), The Political Economy of International Cooperation, Wheatsheaf, 1989
- «Structural Adjustment of the Greek Economy», in C. Bliss and J. Braga de Macedo (eds.), Unity with Diversity in the European Economy: The Community’s Southern Frontier, Cambridge University Press, 1990
- «North / South in the EMS: Convergence and Divergence in Inflation and Real Exchange Rates», (with J. P. Danthine, Paul de Grauwe and N. Thygesen) the CEPS Economic Policy Group, 1991
- «Investment, Trade and International Competitiveness» in J.H. Dunning and K.A. Hamdani, edts, The New Globalism and Developing Countries, United Nations University Press, 1997, pp. 181–213
- «Illegal Migration and Local Labour Markets: The Case of Northern Greece», (with Theodore P. Lianos, Alexander H. Sarris). International Migration Quarterly Review Vol. XXXIV, No 3, 1996, p.p. 449 - 483
- “The Greek Economy in the Post-Maastricht Era”, Hellenic Studies, Vol. 5, No 2, Autumn 1997
- “Financial Governance and Democratic Consolidation: The Dual Challenge of the European Union” in A. Vlachou, edt., Contemporary Economic Theory: Radical Critiques of Neoliberalism, Macmillan Press,1999, p.p. 159-172
- “The Internationalisation of Southern European Economies”, in H. Gibson, edt., Economic Transformation, Democratisation and Integration into Europe: The Case of Southern Europe, Palgrave Publishers, 2001
- “European Integration and the Need for Democratic Reconsolidation”, in Pelagidis Th, J. Milios and L.T. Katseli, eds, Welfare State and Democracy in Crisis, Ashgate, 2000. Also in J. Milios, L. Katseli and Th. Pelagidis, edts, Rethinking Democracy and the Welfare State, Ellinika Grammata, 1999, pp. 83–94
- “Immigrants and EU Labor Markets” in Migration Policy in Europe: Present Challenges-Future Prospects, AMPI, Washington, 2003, forthcoming
- Searching for Alternatives - Beyond the Washington Consensus, (in G. Schmalisch and J. Müller), International Policy Dialogue series of InWEnt, Berlin, September 2004
- “Greek Migration: The Two Faces of Janus” (with N. Glytsos) in K. Zimmerman, edt. European Migration: “What do We Know?”, Oxford University Press, 2005
- “Giving Aid Teeth”, Development and Cooperation, volume 32, n° 1, January 2005. Also in The ICC Guide to Corporate Social Responsibility, 2005
- The Role of Conditionality in Policy-Based Lending, International Policy Dialogue series of InWEnt, Berlin, April 2005
- Migration, Aid & Trade: Policy Coherence for Development (with J. Dayton- Johnson), Policy Brief n° 28, OECD Development Centre, 2006
- Effects of Migration on Sending Countries: What do we know? (with R.E.B. Lucas and T. Xenogiani), Working paper n° 250, OECD Development Centre, June 2006
- Policies for Migration and Development: A European Perspective (with R.E.B. Lucas and T. Xenogiani), Policy Brief n° 30, OECD Development Centre, 2006
- Migration: a Negative or a Positive Driver for Development? (with T. Xenogiani), Policy Insight n° 29, OECD Development Centre, 2006
- Bridging Research and Policy – What Role for EADI? (with C. Foy) European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes, Newsletter 2, 2006
- EU Policy Coherence on Security and Development: A new Agenda for Research and Policy-making, in Hans Guenter Brauch, et al. edts., Globalisation and Environmental Challenges, Vol. 1, Chapter 60 of Part VII on Institutional Security Concepts Revisited for the 21st Century, Springer, 2007
- "NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE: Board of Directors". National Bank of Greece. 23 March 2015. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Petrakis, Maria (7 October 2009). "Greek Government Sworn in; Katseli Gets Economy Post". Bloomberg.
- "OECD Development Centre Policy Seminar" (PDF). Oecd.org. 7 October 2004. Retrieved 2016-06-15.
- "Greek PM appoints Katseli, Papaconstantinou ministers". Reuters. 6 October 2009.
- Petrakis, Maria (6 September 2010). "Greece's Papandreou changes government ministers in reshuffle". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 30 September 2010.[dead link]
- Carassava, Anthee, "Greece lawmakers OK new austerity measures", Los Angeles Times, October 21, 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "Former PASOK ministers launch new party", Ekathimerini, 14 March 2012
- Rachel Donaldio (21 February 2012). "Growing air of concern over a new bailout". Retrieved 2016-06-15.
- "Gerasimos Arsenis, Politician". kefalonia.net.gr. 2002. Archived from the original on 2011-01-01.[dead link]
- Curriculum Vitae of Louka Katseli
- Biography of Louka Katseli in the Official Website of the Hellenic Parliament (Greek) - (English)
- Louka Katseli in the K.E.P.P. Conference (English)
- Louka Katseli in the E.A.D.I. Website (English)
- Curriculum Vitae of Louka Katseli in the United Nations Website (English)