Lu Chao's paintings are mostly filled with sketch-like portrayals of a massive number of different faces, evoking a sense of mystery and strangeness. For the artist, the unknown is sublime and he avoids using his work as a carrier for opinions, preferring to leave the door open for viewers to interpret the pieces on their own. He aim to establish an exchange between viewers and the larger universe around them by integrating an expanding world into his own labyrinth of personalized patterns. Through his works, Lu Chao exposes us to the unknown and strangeness of our life, of our world and of our state of mind. We find it difficult to truly understand our own persona, and we find it even more exhausting to comprehend the world around us. The gap between what we do and what we do not know, shapes the beauty and excitements of life.
Lu Chao completed his Masters at the Painting Department of the Royal College of Art (London, UK) in 2014 and finished his Bachelor at the Central Academy of Fine Arts (Beijing, China) oil painting department in 2012. He also attended Fine Arts School Affiliated to China Central Academy of Fine Arts and graduated in 2008.
Black Silence, Rosenfeld Porcini Gallery, London, UK
Black Forest, Hadrien de Montferrand Gallery, Beijing, China
Forbes China 30 under 30 in Art and Fashion
Painter—Stainers Gordon Luton Award, Royal College of Art, London, UK
RCA Studio Prize, London, UK
Lucy Halford Bursary, Royal College of Art, London, UK
Best Creative Awards, Central Academy of Fine Art, Beijing, China
Excellent Sketching Award, Central Academy of Fine Art, Beijing, China
Silver Prize, Giant Cup Today National Art Students Awards, Today Art Museum, Beijing, China
Selected Museum & Public Collections
Today Art Museum Beijing
Fine Art School Affiliated to Central Academy of Fine Arts
- "Lu Chao Artworks, Bio & Shows on Artsy".
- "Lu Chao | Black Box". 然点 Ran Dian.
- "Lu Chao 陆超". Lu Chao 陆超. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Galerie Nathalie Obadia: Current Show". www.nathalieobadia.com. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "Royal College of Art | Lu Chao".
- "rosenfeld porcini". rosenfeld porcini. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- dampierre, luc de. "HdM GALLERY - home". HdMGallery.com. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- "Exhibitions". Hadrien de Montferrand Gallery.
- "Galerie Nathalie Obadia: Exhibitions". www.nathalieobadia.com. Retrieved 2018-02-25.
- "Exhibitions". Galerie Nathalie Obadia.
- "Paper, oil and a vision for Chinese art|chinadaily.com.cn". europe.chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved 2017-08-03.
- "News & Fairs". Hadrien de Montferrand.
- "Exhibitions". Hadrien de Montferrand.
- "福布斯中国2018年30位30岁以下精英榜（全榜单）_创业福布斯中文网". www.forbeschina.com. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Chao Lu". Royal College of Art. Retrieved 2017-08-10.
- "New Sensations | Saatchi Art". Saatchi Art. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- "Lu Chao - Profile, Exhibitions & Artwork | Ocula". 2017-08-10. Retrieved 2017-08-10.