Lukhdhirji Engineering College
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Government Engineering College|
|Principal||Prof. (Dr) N.K. Arora|
|Undergraduates||Annual Intake in 1st year: 510|
|Location||Morbi, Gujarat, India|
Lukhdhirji Engineering College,Morbi popularly known as L.E. College or LEC Morbi, is one of most prestigious and oldest technical institutions of Gujarat located in the Morbi district. It was established as a polytechnic in 1931, then known as Morvi Technical Institute (MTI) and was upgraded to a full-fledged degree engineering college in 1951 when the Late Honorable His Highness Maharaja Lukhdhirjsinghji of Morvi State donated his palace with 40 acres (160,000 m2) of land on the bank of river Machhu and the institute was named after him. The institute is operated by the government of Gujarat and is affiliated with Gujarat Technological University.
- 1 Campus
- 2 Academic Departments
- 3 Activities
- 4 Notable alumni
- 5 External links
The campus is located on the banks of river Machhu in Morbi, Gujarat. The campus is divided into clusters of buildings. The academic area consists of various departmental buildings, the administration block, the students amenities building, and a badminton court and swimming pool. The academic area is divided into old campus and new campus:
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Swimming pool
- Badminton court
- Annexe 1
- Annexe 2
- General Department- Old Building
- Applied Mechanics - Old Wing
- Applied Mechanics - New Wing
- Water Resource Lab
- Hydrology Lab
- Drawing Hall 1 & 2
- Mechanical Workshop
- Department of Production Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering - Old Building
- Electrical Machine Lab
- Diploma IT & Central Library
- Student Amenities Building
- Ceramic Technology Department
- LEC Old Building (Palatial Building)
- Department of Power Electronics Engineering
- Department of IT Engineering
- Department of Industrial Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- New Building (Administration, Siemens Center of Excellence, and the Electrical and Chemical Departments)
Further college has separate boys and girls hostel which can accommodate around 1200 students. The hostel campus occupies the area of around 25 acres. Hostel Machhu A, Machhu B, Machhu D, Machhu E, New Hill, NVP and New Hostel are for boys and Hostel Machhu F & Machhu G are for girls. The college has its own cricket ground with pavilion which spans over 6 acres.
The institute has ten major academic departments:
- Department of Electrical Engineering (Est. 1951, Intake- UG -120, PG-18)
- Department of Civil Engineering (Est. 1951, Intake- UG -120, PG-18)
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (Est. 1951, Intake- UG -60)
- Department of IT Engineering (Est. 1999, Intake- UG -30)
- Department of Production Engineering (Est. 1970, Intake- UG-30)
- Department of Chemical Engineering (Est. 2008, Intake- UG -60)
- Department of Industrial Engineering (Est. 1983, Intake- UG -30)
- Department of Power Electronics Engineering (Est. 1983, Intake- UG -60, PG-18)
- General Department (Humanities, Maths & Physics Department)
- Applied Mechanics Department
Siemens, in association with Government of Gujarat, has established a Center of Excellence in Industrial Machinery on the campus. It organizes several certification courses like PLC Scada, NX and NX Advance, Induction Motor Training.
Apart from conventional departments, L.E. College Morbi has several other important organizations and cells which are run jointly by students, alumni and institute and cater to the purpose as defined in their respective charter. Following is a glimpse of some of the organizations & cells and their activities and aims.
1. LENCO Alumni Association
The association organizes reunion every year and along with it they also organize 'Annual Gold Medal Award Function' in which toppers of the most recent graduated batch are awarded a gold medal and a certificate by the alumni association.
The institute is a part of Rajkot Battalion of NCC. The cadets from this institute regularly participates in the camps and drills organized by NCC at state and national level and has brought laurels for the institute. Presently it is mentored by Prof. K. K. Dave from Mechanical Engineering Department.
3. Center of Creativity (COC)
This department of established in 2012 by then principle Prof. P.C. Vasani in order to promote extra curricular activities in the institute. Since its inception, COC has organized 4 techfests ( VIJAYANT '12, '13, '14 and '15), several cultural activities such as Saptdhara, Matru Bhasa Divas, Annual Open House etc. The department is one of the most dynamic department of the institute which regularly organizes curricular and extra curricular activities and thus provides the platform to the students to showcase their talents and nurture their temperament. The department is chaired by Prof. M.H. Ayalani and has several dynamic and enthusiastic faculties associated with it like Prof. K.K. Dave, Prof. Jagruti Bheda etc.
4. Electrical Engineering Students Association (EESA)
Electrical Engineering Students Association is a local student chapter at Electrical Engineering Department established by the enthusiasts of 2016 batch. Apart from technical lectures, seminars, symposiums etc. EESA also organizes various non technical activities at the departmental level such as Welcome & Farewell Functions, College Days, Departmental Day etc.
5. Training and Placement Cell & Personality Development Cell (TP&PDC)
Training and placement cell was established in the year 1962.
L.E. College Morbi gives equal emphasis on sports and every year Annual Sports Week is organized in the even semester and various tournaments are organized in this week covering wide range of sports such as Volleyball, Cricket, Badminton etc. Students of L.E. College also participate in University Sports Meets and National Sports Meet. College sports teams have bought laurels in various games like Cricket, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho etc. in past.
7. VIJAYANT - The Annual Tech fest
Vijayant is the annual techfest of the institute. Its first edition was pioneered by 2012 batch and thus from then onward, the fest is organized every year with great enthusiasm and attracts participation from different institutes across the state. The latest edition of VIJAYANT was organized on 19 and 20 March 2015. It had more than 18 events(technical+non technical) and more than 1600 students participated in it. The theme of the techfest was 'Born to Win'.
We have nearly 20 clubs which are associated with COC.Students work very enthusiastically and do various activities according to their area of interest.
1.Society welfare Club
2.Stock market analysis Club
3.Industry interaction Club
13.Readers and Writers Club
14.Gaming and Programming CLub
15.Sculpture, Drawing and Painting Club
18.Melodious Music Club
19.Photography and Films Club
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2017)