|Single by Yo Yo Honey Singh|
|from the album Chennai Express soundtrack|
|Released||13 July 2013|
|Genre||Film soundtrack, pop-folk|
|Songwriter(s)||Yo Yo Honey Singh|
"Lungi Dance" is an Indian song composed and sung by Indian rapper Yo Yo Honey Singh for the soundtrack of the 2013 Bollywood film Chennai Express. The song, along with the rest of the soundtracks, was officially released on 1 July 2013. The song is a tribute to Rajinikanth.
"Lungi Dance" was released as the ninth single from the album. The launch of the original music of the film took place in Mumbai, where performances were seen by the film's music directors and cast members. The star-studded event's telecast rights were sold to a TV channel for INR48 crore (US$7.7 million). The song is said to have significantly more popularised the Lungi, a traditional dress of India especially in Tamil Nadu.
A sample of "Lungi Dance"
Problems playing this file? See media help.
All the Rajini fans...Lungi dance, lungi dance...
Jisko jo bhi hai karnaa wo kar lo
Idhar hi main hoon khadaa pakad lo
Ghar pe jaa ke tum Google kar lo
Mere baare mein Wikipedia pe padh lo
Whoever wants to do whatever, do
I am here, catch me
(or) Go home, and Google me,
(or) read about me in Wikipedia
"Lungi Dance" received mainly mixed reviews from critics in India. Mohar Basu of Koimoi wrote in his review, "I am quite assured that not every Rajni fan has Lungi as their favorite attire and neither will they appreciate Lassi in their coconut! Not that I was expecting meaning in the lyrics of the song, but the song's words are as meaningless as the aimless Deepika Padukone shaking her leg in this too-desperate-to-be-funny song." The Firstpost review said, "I may have to go swallow some Kafka and Faulkner after this column to feel smart again, but at least I know that I have done my Patient Zero duty in spreading the Lungi Dance virus. Thalaivar, everyone!"
The film's music composing duo, Vishal–Shekhar, were under the impression that they were the only musicians working on Chennai Express. Meanwhile, Honey Singh was asked by the film director to perform in the promotional song of "Lungi Dance". When rumours surfaced about Honey Singh's involvement, Vishal Dadlani tweeted, "It's hilarious and pathetic how desperately this tacky rape-rapper is trying to ride on the fame of SRK and Chennai Express (sic)". The rumour turned out to be true and the composers felt cheated. Dadlani and Shekhar Ravjiani did not promote the film's music nor attended the film's promos. There is also a controversy that in the music launch of the lungi dance song Shah Rukh Khan slapped YoYo Honey Singh.
- "The Thalaivar Tribute (Lungi Dance) Feat. Yo Yo Honey Singh". T-Series. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Chennai Express Music Release date". ReleaseDateIndia.com. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "SRK-Honey Singh Pay Tribute to Rajinikanth in Chennai Express". Hindustan Times – via Highbeam (subscription required). 25 June 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2015.
- "Rajnikanth likes naughty 'Lungi Dance'". India Today. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "'Lungi Dance', 'Raghupati Raghav' Music review". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Celebs at the audio launch of Chennai Express". MSN Entertainment. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "'Chennai Express' satellite rights sold for Rs. 480 million!". Business of Cinema. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Susanna Myrtle Lazarus (18 August 2013). "Madras checks still do the Lungi Dance". The Hindu. Retrieved 2014-01-06.
- MovieReviewPreview.com, "Chennai Express Exclusive: Lungi Dance Song Review", MovieReviewPreview.com, July 31, 2013. Retrieved February 25, 2017.
- "Honey Singh's Lungi Dance: Lyrics and Translation", bollymeaning.com. Retrieved February 25, 2017.
- Basu, Mohar (30 July 2013). "Chennai Express Song Review: SRK's Lungi Dance is a Well Intentioned But Racist Tribute". Koimoi. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Jakatdar, Anuya (6 August 2013). "SRK salutes Rajini: you can't miss the 'lungi dance'". Firstpost. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Vishal-Shekhar Say No To SRK's 'Lungi Dance'". EMatterz. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Chennai Express: Vishal-Shekhar upset with SRK over 'Lungi Dance'?". IBN Live. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2013.