Lynn S. Beedle
Dr. Lynn S. Beedle (December 7, 1917 – October 30, 2003) was an American structural engineer, the founder and the director of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, notable also for his design and building of skyscrapers.  The New York Times called him "an expert on tall buildings". Beedle is also credited with making Lehigh University a center of research for civil and structural engineering because of his "groundbreaking studies on the properties of steel structures". Beedle was elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 1972 “for contributions to steel structures research and design practice, especially plastic design and residual stress effects.” The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat honored Beedle with creation of the Lynn S. Beedle Achievement Award.  Beedle was a recipient of a lifetime achievement award from the American Society of Civil Engineers. He also received Franklin Institute’s Frank P. Brown Medal, as well as the John Fritz Medal, the Berkeley Engineering Alumni Society Distinguished Engineering Alumnus Award, and was named Distinguished Professor of Civil Engineering by Lehigh University.
Life and career
Beedle was born in Orland, California. He graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, with a B.S. degree, and joined the US Navy where he commanded underwater explosion research at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Virginia and served as Deputy Officer in Charge of the Nuclear testing at Bikini Atoll in 1946. In 1952 he received his doctorate from Lehigh University in structural engineering after 5 years of graduate studies and working there as an instructor.
- New York Times:Lynn S. Beedle, 85, Dies; An Expert on Tall Buildings;By DAVID TULLER; November 01, 2003
- National Academy of Engineering:Memorial Tributes, Volume 11 (2007) LYNN S. BEEDLE;BY JOHN W. FISHER
- Lehigh Heritage:Beedle, Lynn
- Lehigh University;Distinguished Alumni;Lynn Beedle 52 Archived 2010-07-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat;Council History
- Architectural Record:Lynn S. Beedle, Founder of Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, Dies;November 5, 2003
- Structural Stability Research Council;Beedle Award Archived 2009-01-06 at the Wayback Machine
- "Lynn Beedle, 'a world engineer, dies at 85". 2003-10-31. Retrieved 2021-01-31.